Yet another Rutlands rant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried living without a TS and I couldn't do it. Even whilst considering which items to get rid of, should my health problems worsen, I don't think I could be completely TS-Less. You've got nothing to loose trying to live without it, but I suspect you'll not be content. What's next on the project list? Try to complete it without a TS and see.

wizer":1uh4ehkf said:
Sounds like they have got you by the short and curlies. It's all been said above. But for the interest they have earned on your 700 squids, they should be giving you a few free gifts. Obviously, if it was Axminster, that probably wouldn't be such a bizarre statement!

Axminster are not the only ones. A couple of weeks ago I got a phone call from Record saying that the lathe I ordered at Yandles will be a bit late. They originally said mid May (and knocked some money off to appologise), they are now saying end of May. They appologised for the delay; aksed if I wanted to continue with the order; then the person on the phone gave me his name and said that they would sort me out with a good deal on my next order (which will probably be some face plates and maybe a new chuck). I enquired about the oil for running it in, and he said that they would throw in a bottle of their specalised stuff to get me started.

A fun topic this one, and bit counter intuitive. There's actually no question but that the solution to achieving high service levels is 'just in time', and that that entails holding minimal stocks right through the supply chain. This latter (as is the case at all stages of the supply chain) is the amount needed to cover sales for whatever the lead time for replenishment is - plus some small buffer.

Large amounts of stock at various points in the process not only cost big time, but also massively slow response and reduce flexibility. (it takes ages to work through what's hung up in the queue/system to get to focus on what you really need to make, plus the management task becomes far more complex and error prone. Your inventory goes mad if you set work in progress aside)

The theory is absolutely clear, but the rub in practice is that if (a) your suppliers can't supply reliably in full to spec and on time and/or (b) you can't accurately forecast your likely sales, and/or (c) your supply chain doesn't work very well it's going to get lively.

In practice though the vast majority of lower cost Eastern sources do not deliver 'just in time' (JIT) or anything like it - they rather quote low prices but very long lead times - and demand large order quantities. And very often don't deliver on time. i.e. they perform the opposite of what's required by JIT

Which squeezes re-sellers back into having to carry large stocks to cover the unforeseen.

The fundamental though is that even large stocks don't resolve the issue if your estimation of demand and sources of supply are unreliable. Or if your materials management is dodgy. Which is why so many end up with stock outs.

Somehow in this situation you always end up with massive stocks, but never have in stock what you actually need. The problem becomes more and more acute as the product count increases, and manufacturing lead times increase vs the sales lead time advised to customers, and demand less stable.

It's common to see authoritarian finance directors (that see little except what they think is the bottom line) force the stripping out of inventory (rrrrrrrr....'we're much higher than industry norms') at considerable cost (discounted sell offs etc) - but not see the need to improve the quality, cost and delivery performance of the supply chain to match.

They usually as a result of subsequent crisis ordering that develops in the face of the resulting stock outs end up back where they started in not much over a year or so.

Another common cause of problems is poor co-operation between sales (not interested in getting involved helping to manage the supply chain through effective forecasting, demand management etc), suppliers (as above they suit themselves) and supply chain management - the latter group get hung out to dry.

The only route to reliable and on time supply is reliable functioning of the supply chain right from the start (materials sourcing) to the customer (delivered product).....

I once bought from Rutlands - never again. "In stock this week" was the answer given periodically for over two months. Meanwhile they helped themselves PDQ courtesy of my credit card. No company needs to do this, and an honest, well managed company wouldn't dream of it. The b*****ds still took an age to refund me after I cancelled the order.

Rutlands are just a c**p company - end of.

ike":3rd7xu52 said:
I once bought from Rutlands - never again. "In stock this week" was the answer given periodically for over two months. Meanwhile they helped themselves PDQ courtesy of my credit card. No company needs to do this, and an honest, well managed company wouldn't dream of it. The b*****ds still took an age to refund me after I cancelled the order. Rutlands are just a c**p company - end of.

I've been on UKW for about six years and I agree that the compaints about this company seem to crop up every two or three months, I used to receive their catalogue but that has stopped now, maybe because i have never ordered from them. Why not :?: well it's self evident innit :lol:

I don't understand why they don't come on here to defend themselves? It's just another error in their customer services regime.

I got a great deal on a toolbag from them but it was out of stock for 3 months, they only took payment when it was back in stock.

never had a bad experience with them, maybe lucky for once!

I got "Oh thats funny, seems that the bank has stopped the transaction".

Will they do it again, why did they do it in the first place? I have never heard of that happening before!

"Um, I don't know"

3 weeks later I got my money back. Were they really expecting me to wait the 2-3 months for the saw to be made and delivered?

Plus they have got some really dopey phone staff.

I also just bought a vice in their sale and part of the bottom casting for the screws was broken but I couldn't be pineappled to even bother with them again and just put a bracket over it.

I know I have re-hashed an old thread but this time it is good news of Rutlands.

I made an order yesterday at 14:30, it was delivered to my door at 14:15 this afternoon. Less than 24 hours and I only paid for the 2 day delivery not the next day.

I only chose them as they are the only ones selling this item.

So it's not all bad news.

Regards

Mick

Ain't you found the secret "I Love Rutlands - :roll:" sub forum?

I think it's it must be invitation only! :lol::lol:

edit - obviously the Mods are going to deny it. :wink:

OK I bought the Worksharp 3000, as I said Rutlands was the only place selling it. I live close to Axminster in High Wycombe so try to use them for most things.

Anyway the Worksharp - very good, really easy to get consistent results. Spent ages sharpening all my chisels. No better than doing them by hand but so much easier and quicker. The main thing is the consistency.

It was £199 so quite expensive.

The abrasives seem to last a long time. I needed to re-grind a couple of neglected chisels and they came out really well.

So was it worth it? It was for me but maybe not for others, I am a gadget fiend. :twisted:

Mick

MickCheese":2jvw1kf0 said:
It was £199 so quite expensive.

An excellent purchase, Sir! 8)

Rutlands claim that the item is 'on sale' but, it's been at that price for the last eight months... :roll: It is worth every penny though, when you look at what you could otherwise spend on a decent set of bench stones, a honing guide, grinder or even just a Tormek and its accessories.

You don't really 'need' to buy any of the Work Sharp accessories, either. If you ever look at the 'Wide Blade Attachment', it's simply a height-adjustable platform that can be levelled with the abrasive, and a honing guide (most people have one of those...). For £70, I reckon you could make your own for much less (I wish I'd tried... :oops:).

:)

Today I bought some sticky 6" abrasive disks from Axminster rather than the proper ones from Rutlands.

£20 for the Worksharp ones, £5 from Axminster. All I have to do is cut a small hole for the arbour.

I did a plane blade yesterday, so easy and dead square.

I really like it.

OPJ, you are right about the wide blade attachment, I am going to try my cheap as chips Axminster honing guide.

Mick

Latest posts

Back