yet another question!!!!.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
as usual a question :oops: :oops: maybe one day i will say something usfull like "this is how you make money grow on trees" but untill then....

i have made the top of a tv corner unit (some of you will have seen the picture i drew of it) but it is quite big, i have quite a few clamps but they are all too small, and i cant find a big enough clamp,

so i was thinking, oh ill just get a band clamp :?: (dunno if this is the official name) but in axminster etc. they only had them with 4 corner bits where as i need 6 (2 at 90 degrees and 4 at around 60 degrees)

so then i though i wonder if one of those strap things will work?

heres what i mean by strap things
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=KRA983590

would thse do an effective job of holding a 70mm wide, frame around the outside of the top?? its connected with biscuits by the way!

Thanks

Tom

Thomas, I have a couple of strap clamps, a narrow one Part no. KRA983590 and a wider (50mm) one part No. TDR204W2 both from Axminster; I find the wider one more useful.

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to clamp together, all I can say is that I use these clamps a lot for the sort of job I think you are describing. They can exert a lot of presure, and can mark the wood so care is needed.

Hope this helps.

thomaskennedy":4c7uoipa said:
i have made the top of a tv corner unit (some of you will have seen the picture i drew of it) but it is quite big, i have quite a few clamps but they are all too small, and i cant find a big enough clamp,

Could you post a sketch, then perhaps we could get a better idea of what you have in mind to achieve.
One point, strap clamps grip best at the corners, very little force at the middle of eact straight bit. Could the edging be done in sections? that's the way I usually do it if possible, then trim on the saw and glue on the next bit
John

Tom
band clamps are pretty handy for clamping around unusual shapes, I'd be lost without the pair I have. Their corner brackets are handy, but not essential; if the ones you have don't conform to the angle you need, you can either make your own corner brackets or simply remove them from the band. Just be carefull how much pressure you dial into them.

FYI.. if the 4m ones you found aren't long enough, Screwfix sell 5m ones. Additionally there's nothing to prevent you joining a couple of bands together to make a much longer one.

Back