Yet another motor insurance gotcha

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
About 18 months ago, my son was made redundant and lost the use of his company car. Having previously sold his own car when the company motor turned up, he was instantly car-less and needed to be mobile to look for new work.
So I put him onto my car policy as a named driver with Churchill as they advertised that Named Drivers built up their own no claims discount.

Now 18 months on he has a new job and bought himself another car (with a loan from the bank of Mum & Dad), I rang Churchill to arrange to get his NCD applied to a new insurance quote for him.

Online quote from Churchill was £733 with 12months NCD but guess what? the premium turns out to be £890 "because the discount earned as a named driver is different from a normal NCD" !!!****
No mention of that in their advertising of course.
!bas-t-ards!
Strange that it is so rare to hear of a better than expected experience with an insurance company!!

Bob

Not quite the same problem but when I gave up my company lease car to run my own I had no no-claims record!
After a lot of searching I found that More Than would accept a letter from my Company confirming my lack of claims.
I therefore started off with a full no claims bonus with them.

Rod

Back