Yet another marking knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pekka Huhta

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been struggling for years with different utility knifes, snap-off blades and a thick heavy marking knife which is funnily stamped "Foreign". And yesterday I decided to build my own.

First thing that I wanted was a good and sturdy blade, and still narrow and light enough to fit inside dovetails. I started with a strip cut off from a 2,5 mm thick circular saw blade. After some filing and grinding it is 1,2-1,6 mm thick, enough to keep the blade rigid when marking.

I have always loved fountain pens and use them a lot, so it's not so surprising that the blade resembles a fountain pen nib. Form may follow function, but I thought the few extra hours spent shaping the blade made the blade a bit more then just functional. I think it's quite pretty. :wink:

Another thing which does not show from the photos is that the whole marking knife and the brass ferrule are oval, not round. This way it sort of falls in the right way to your hand with the blade oriented just the right way. And of course an oval knife does not roll around the workbench.

A third "feature" if it can be counted as such is the size of the knife. I can't imagine what could be done with a 9" marking knife: if you are building anything so big that needs such a dagger for marking, the marking tolerances could just as well be handled with a pen. So the knife is almost exactly 6" long and can be used like a pencil, not like a knife.

As you can see, the handle resembles a lot the marking knifes of Derek Cohen. I have always liked the streamlined form of Derek's knifes, so the knife can hopefully be considered as a form of flattery. I'm not sure how much I have improved the model, merely modified it to suit my needs better.

merkkausveitsi.jpg

merkkausveitsi1.jpg

The handle is Karelian Birch, finished with linseed oil, two coats of shellac and home brewn wax containing beeswax, linseed oil, pine tar and turpentine.

Pekka

I turned the handle round at first, but my home-made lathe is so crude that I could not turn the oval sections.

sorvi1.jpg

So I just used a scraper to thin down the sides of the handel and sanded it down. Karelian birch is not easy to plane at all, so it was easier to scrape it down.

Pekka

I think it's a thing of great beauty and obviously functions well.

I also like the shape of the blade. As a "leftie" it would work for me, also for moments when you have to mark on the 'wrong' side! It also looks easy to sharpen.

I suggest you register the design and see if you can get someone to put them into manufacture!

It's a really nice tool.

Pekka Huhta":1ahkl51t said:

Pekka,

that´s one of the most beautiful marking knives I´ve seen. Great job!

I like it when a tool combines functionality and beauty. Your marking knife does that without any doubt. Thanks for sharing!

Klaus

Thanks for everyone on your kind words! I knew that wanted to build a beautiful knife and am really glad that people liked it.

I like the idea of getting rid of the original surface of the raw material. From a flat piece of steel to a rounded or molded blade, from a round, turned handle to an oval one... A purely functional tool can be useful, but the most handsome tools have usually quite a bit of features in addition to purely functional approach. The devil is in the details, but there may be quite a bunch of angels lurking around them as well :wink: It's the small details that make a beautiful tool, not just one feature.

And Klaus, I have in fact copied the idea of your hand-filed saw backs to the knife: everything looks better if we just forget how "difficult" and "timeconsuming" it is to just file away the bits and pieces that do not fit into a streamlined design. your saw backs look brilliant just because everyone can see the work gone into them and the attention to detail. I think there is a similar issue on the knife as well.

I have been asked it I would build more of those knifes for sale. I work with so primitive tools that it takes ages to complete one. This one took me Friday afternoon and a good part of Saturday as well. Perhaps I could cut the time down quite a bit now that I have the first model made, but it would still take quite a bit of time. But who knows, it would be nice to have "my tools" all around the world...

Pekka

Hi Pekka

You done good! That is a great looking knife. Interesting blade - different to the one I advocate, but then mine is aimed at getting into a dovetail saw kerf for London Dovetails. Can yours do that?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

The knife is only about 1,5 mm thick, so if I'm not making any narrower dovetails I'll be fine. In fact I wanted to make a thicker blade originally, but the 2,5 mm blank somehow melted into 1,6 mm when I started searching the right shape for the blade. I think it would look poshier with a bit thicker and more sculptured blade, but the shape is now as good as it gets with a 1,6 mm thickness. I first tried to explain the curved section to myself that "it allows me to do smaller half-blind dovetails" but in the end I think that I did it just because the shape looked better that way.

But in short, it should be able to fit into a 1,6 mm kerf, and I can't see myself making any narrower dovetails. In fact I prefer wider dovetails myself, but it should get to pretty narrow spots.

I have saved all my jigsaw blades in order to make the blade from those, but in the end I probably could not have ground an already thin blade to that shape without getting too thin. But your pages were followed very closely when I started designing my own knife. I took the best marking knife I found as the starting point and started my own variation from there. :wink:

Pekka

P.S: I'm thinking of building a marking awl as a pair for this. Where do you get the material for your awls? Do you turn them yourself or get something pre-manufactured?

Hi Pekka

The awls are dead easy. I use a HSS drill bit, usually a 3/16". Just chuck it into a power drill and let it spin against a spinning disk or belt sander. I like using the disk sander, first a 80 grit disk, then a 240 grit disk. Heat cannot hurt HSS. I finish on a deburring wheel.

Pics wanted when you are done!

Regards from Perth

Derek

The awls are dead easy. I use a HSS drill bit, usually a 3/16". Just chuck it into a power drill and let it spin against a spinning disk or belt sander. I like using the disk sander, first a 80 grit disk, then a 240 grit disk. Heat cannot hurt HSS. I finish on a deburring wheel.

Brilliant! The straight part of the shank is somewhat short, but then again no-one knows if shove the spiral inside the handle.

I don't know when I have time for this, but then again it shouldn't take that long at all...

Pekka

Very stylish knife there Pekka and totally born of Scandinavian roots...that is obvious in the superb design.

As too is the lathe...what a wonderful looking thing of beauty....again...Scandinavian simplicity....

You have a great talent my friend...I look forward to some more stylish works from the Pekka Works....

Jim

Back