Yet Another Chuck Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albion

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I was wondering if you could help me.

A couple of months ago I bought a Jet 1014 lathe and, seeing as Christmas is coming up, I thought I'd treat myself to a chuck. I have no real idea what to look for though.

I've heard that the Dakota ones from Rutlands are good value for money but they have two different types for exactly the same price: there's a scroll chuck (XT700) and a self-centring chuck (XT450), both for £70. It won't let me post a link so I've put the model numbers. Which is better?

Any help would be great!

you could do worse than a quick visit to Data power tools at the top of Cowbridge road, they have a fair selection of woodturning tools in there and you could get 'hands on' . they (used to? ) stock Record Power and Robert Sorby stuff, both of who make decent chucks too.

I used to own an XT700 and was very pleased with it. I disposed of it when I changed my lathe as it didn`t fit my new one.
It is of a similar design to most modern chucks, operated by a single key. It is only compatible with two thread sizes. If one of these fits your lathe then no problem. You will also be limited in your choice of accessory jaws to those shown on the Rutlands site, though I believe that Vicmarc jaws will fit.
Don`t know about the XT450, but reading the info about it, similar restrictions will apply.
Hope this helps.

Ian

Back