yet another box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerdeira

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

this is my first attempt at box making (not counting an aborted project dumped into the bin). it was a wedding gift and features the wedding initials carved on the lid.
The box and lid are made of contrasting timbers: beech and sapele. small offcuts that I had laying around the workshop. the box sides are laminated beech with thin (3mm) strips of sapele, joined with dovetails and slightly curved shaped.
I've also made two stacking trays out of softwood (whitewood) 5mm thick.
It was finished with 4 coats of finishing oil.

Unfortunataly i didn't capture much of the WIP but here's what i got:

After assembly i've used the table saw to make angled cuts along all the sides to remove the bulk of material before smoothing:
P1010042.jpg

I've used a block plane to shape the sides and a wooden gauge with the desired profile to control progress:
P1010043.jpg

here's the final dovetailed sides after planing the curves:
P1010044.jpg

The final result. The lid is basically a stile and rail (mitred) construction with a panel. The letters were hand carved mostly with a v-tool with some help from a couple of gouges. then they were stained with van dick crystals to enhance contrast. i wasn't too happy with the carving but if one doesn't look too close the result is fair.
1999-12-31_23-00-00_4.jpg

lid open, showing the trays in place. the catch is made of just two small cylindrical magnets embedded
1999-12-31_23-00-00_1.jpg

a close up of the trays, made of whitewood 5mm thick. they're dovetailed and have a central divider
1999-12-31_23-00-00_2.jpg

that's all.
thanks for watching.

A very good looking box. Looks great and a credit to your obvious skill. So lets see box no. 2 now. Best wishes.

lovely box! also really like the incorporated handle
what method did you use to create the curved profile on the carcass?

That's the business, that. =D>

Table saw then block plane, checking up with a wooden gauge; so simple and skilful - I wonder how Norm would go about making a copy ? I can imagine the array of machinery now ...

Back