Yet another best bandsaw question?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevebod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have decided to upgrade my Aldi bandsaw which has given truly excellent service over the last few years. I have decided to go for something like the Record 300, ie a budget of £600. I looked at Charnwood's equivalent, which although cheaper seemed to lack some of the Records quality and I do not consider an option.
Before I finally part with my readies, I was just wondering what other options anybody else would consider before taking the plunge.
I am aware of previous comments regarding 2nd hand Startrit's, but these seem to be few and far between, and probably too far / too big for me to go and see and then collect?
I have always liked Record stuff, but not really considered any other makes, (eg Metabo?), so just looking for some sound advise from you good people who know about these things.
many thanks for reading, and for any advise that you can offer....

I've ran an old Sheppach Basato 3 for about 5 years now, it's a very good small saw with plenty of grunt to cut through full depth so long as you've got a sharp Tuffsaw's blade :wink: I have swapped out the original thrust bearings once they'd got really bad with actual bearings but that's pretty much all that's been done.

I think I only paid £100 for it 5 years ago or so.

I bought a Record 300E last July and it's a very good saw but for a couple of small gripes. Unlike its predecessor the 300 it doesn't have a de-tensioning lever for blade changes and if you need to remove the fence you either have to remove the blade or unbolt the fence rail.
Apart from that the pedal operated wheel kit is essential unless you have a strong back!
Paul

Hi and thanks for the replies, I will carry on with my research but it looks like its a record at the mo. I will check to see if there are any shows coming up as they normally offer a discount for show purchases .. :) ...

Not sure if it helps, but there's a small (table top size) band saw by Metabo over here which gets good reviews. It's not all that big, (about the same size as my pretty awful Einhell) and it's about 3 times the price of the Einhell (here) but I've had my eye on one for some time (it looks good in the local "professionals tool store" so shouldn't be junk) and I HOPE it'll be within the next shop upgrade budget.

But without checking I THINK the Metabo is smaller in overall capacity than your ear-marked Record.

This is my Bandsaw HERE
Well pleased with it, but cannot compare as it's my first
The fence is excellent; motor and dust extraction good too :)

Yes, Cordy, that looks just like the next size up in the Metabo range that I was talking about above.

As said, no idea what it's like, but the local "professional tools shop" I was talking about above don't generally sell junk (they're the local Festool dealer, amongst other brands such as Bosch Professional, DeWalt, etc).

Hi, and thanks for the updates. I do like Metabo stuff, I replaced my old mitre saw with a Metabo and have been really pleased. The Metabo bandsaw seems to offer a slightly smaller cutting height, but a slightly larger throat cut, and its over £100 cheaper!....I will have to find one "local" that I can have a look at...
many thanks...

Back