Yes, we won, it's taken long enough.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: ok, ok - another team that's improving drastically, with the potential for upset always...but really? You seen the Irish form recently??

Oh, and another continental team to keep an eye on - Portugal! Not there yet in 15s, but doing well in World Sevens.

Well done Wales on a deserved win.

I am an avid England rugby supporter but have to say our performance yesterday was very third division, it was painful to watch.

This years 6nations was always going to be hard and open. Previous performances from Ireland, Wales & England mean that the championship (I say championship because I don't think there is a team strong enough to take the Grand Slam, could be proved wrong in the next couple of months) can go to either, and we mustn't forget France, one bad game doesn't put them out of the running.

I would love to see England take the championship but I fear Ireland are going to be tough to beat.

Scotland and Italy, well someone has to come last.

When your the only northern hemisphere team to bring home the Web Ellis Cup, then you are truely world champions, for 4 years anyway.

Alf":25lsn3ws said:
Tsk. Dismissing the Italians so soon? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

OK, I sit suitably abashed! Still haven't seen a truly good performance, but the effort of the weekend must surely go to the Italians. And so good to see them last the whole 80 minutes, instead of crumbling after the 1st half.

Scotland must be rubbing their hands, looking forward to meeting Ireland at Murrayfield next week, specially if D'Arcy and O'Driscoll hamstrings are serious!

I was really, really hoping that this would be our year, but after yesterdays performance, coupled with saturdays I'd say Wales have as good a chance as anyone this year.

Of course I still really fancy one of the irish provinces to win the European cup, and a win is a win, but that game was nothing like the relaxing sunday afternoon viewing I had settled in to watch!!!

Well done to wales, as an Irishman I support 2 teams, the irish and anyone playing england :lol:
As for the grewcock incident, he just joins a long list of english players over the years who should have been red carded, just my totally biased opinion you understand :wink:

What a day! I had an absolute monster of a hangover yesterday :roll: - no woodwrking of any kind got done!!! I am still feeling a little fragile today, and just thinking about the racket from my Trend T9 makes me wince..... :(

The game wasn't a classic by any means, but it was a thriller, and the atmosphere in the stadium was unbelievable (it is always much noisier with the roof shut). :?

Wales didn't play particularly well - we gave away too many silly penalties, but we were the better team on the day. I thought England were poor. Their much lauded front 5 were too slow around the pitch - did you notice how they walked to every line-out? As for the back line - they didn't seem to have much of a plan at all. Grewcock should have gone for illegal use of the boot - he has form after all. :evil:

Wales have played much better than that and lost, but a win should give them confidence. Hopefully now they can beat Italy next week (although after yesterday's game I don't think it will be a formality by any means), and build some momentum.

I wouldn't like to pick a Championship winner - I think it is too close to call between England (they will get better), Ireland (the form team), France (never write them off) and Wales. At least we are competing now, as for years we have been embarresingly poor.

All the best, and thanks to all you English fans for being so gracious in defeat.

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary

I didn't realise the roof was closed. It's always been open when I've been in the MillStad.

The sound must have been awesome.

Is the roof glass or metal?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

Yes- they kept the roof shut for the first time in a six nations game. I can only assume that they were terrified of getting the pitch wet, as it cut up terribly as it was. I dread to think what it would have been like if it had been wet!

The problem was that they had the Tsunami Aid concert in there two weeks ago, so the pitch was only laid about 10 days before the match, and the turf hadn't had time to knit together.

The roof is a fantastic engineering feat - it is made of steel, and can be closed or opened in 8 minutes. I was at the opening game of the world cup, and they actually opened the roof as part of the ceremony.

The noise in the stadium is immense with the roof open - it is probably about 30% louder with it closed. I thought it was coming off when Henson kicked that penalty! :D

Gary

Back