Yes or No

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will do it but the blades will loose their edge very quickly, straightedge and router would be better.

Jason

Like Jason says...be prepared to sharpen the blades before, possibly during and for sure afterwards before you do any lumber.

If you do use a router, be prepared to either resharpen it also after use (I use those small DMT diamond hones on mine) or use a used bit that you don't care about.

Confirmed what I thought but with so much wisdom around might as well check it out. Back to the router!
Cheers people

If I have to joint any man made stuff I use the planer with the fence as far back as it will go so that it doesn't ruin the knives anywhere bar the far end. I can then bring the fence forward slightly when I need to work timber.

Good tip, Andy.

I do the same thing if I know I will have need of the jointer before I get around to changing the blades out (I've got 3 sets) or sharpening those in the machine.

Andy,
Your tip will work perfectly as described of course but I guess it depends on your work patterns whether it's suitable for any particular person. A pro cabinet maker friend of mine who (admittedly) has a 20 inch planer, likes to keep the first couple of inches nearest the fence pristine for jointing door edges and the like. So whenever I beg the use of his machine, I am reduced to 18 inches :cry: Actually, I think it's the ten feet of infeed/outfeed table that I am most envious of!

Latest posts

Back