Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never done it, but i will believe that it will not work

so the answer in my opinion is no

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
It will do it but the blades will loose their edge very quickly, straightedge and router would be better.

Jason

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Like Jason says...be prepared to sharpen the blades before, possibly during and for sure afterwards before you do any lumber.

If you do use a router, be prepared to either resharpen it also after use (I use those small DMT diamond hones on mine) or use a used bit that you don't care about.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
It's just not worth messing up P/T blades for this job. Use a handplane. It takes no time at all and the blade is easily sharpened

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Confirmed what I thought but with so much wisdom around might as well check it out. Back to the router!
Cheers people

A

Anonymous

If I have to joint any man made stuff I use the planer with the fence as far back as it will go so that it doesn't ruin the knives anywhere bar the far end. I can then bring the fence forward slightly when I need to work timber.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Good tip, Andy.

I do the same thing if I know I will have need of the jointer before I get around to changing the blades out (I've got 3 sets) or sharpening those in the machine.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Andy,
Your tip will work perfectly as described of course but I guess it depends on your work patterns whether it's suitable for any particular person. A pro cabinet maker friend of mine who (admittedly) has a 20 inch planer, likes to keep the first couple of inches nearest the fence pristine for jointing door edges and the like. So whenever I beg the use of his machine, I am reduced to 18 inches :cry: Actually, I think it's the ten feet of infeed/outfeed table that I am most envious of!