Yes, it's bad, buying my own kitchen instead of making one..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doctor Bob":272xyr1f said:
Just to put the record straight.
We use whatever the client wants as carcase material, so cost wise it goes MFC, veneers, birch ply, veneered birch ply, Compressed rhino scrotums.

Most clents will be sensible and opt for a combination, such as MFC on basic cabinets with birch ply in wet cabinets (sink and dishwasher areas) and veneers in show cabinets (larders, worktop mounted cabinets, drinks cabinets).

MFC is a great product, we only use Egger, I can tell the difference with content when cutting compared to Kronorspan or other makes, much less binding on the saw and metal / waste content.
Why put veneers in a drawer pack carcase or a pullout bin carcase, much better to use the money else where.
But at the end of the day it's the clients budget. We do lots of birch ply and veneer kitchens.

P.S. so far no one has ordered a compressed rhino scrotum kitchen carcase.

I don't get the antipathy towards MFC on this forum. From a practical point if view it is the best material for carcassing -especially wardrobes or kitchens. It has pre finished surface that is hard wearing and easy to clean.

I must admit that MFC is difficult to use in a DIY capacity -its hard to cut without chipping and edging is difficult without pro edgebanders. The sheet sizes of 2800 x 2070 arent really too helpful for a home workshop as they are designed for beam saws.

I guess for for a hobbyist woodworker MFC isnt 'wood'.

But for me -MFC allows the carcases to be bashed out quickly leaving time for the more interesting face frame / door part which is 'real woodwork'.

I am not a big fan of MFC personally. It's fine if you have the facilities to handle, cut and edge bind really big sheets but that is fairly. My experience of it is that if I am going to buy Egger board, its close to the same price range delivered as carcass quality ply in low volume, and ply is much easier to machine and fastenings hold better.

It's pretty hopeless in wet areas as if water gets in, it swells like mad and you cannot repair the surface finish really.

I am just making a large bespoke kitchen and utility room at the moment, and for me even though I will have to spray it, I know with the tools I have at my disposal (Mafell track saw, Mirka, Festool etc) I will do a better job in ply and solid wood than I will in anything else. The additional cost in materials is not that significant, especially when put in context of high end appliances (Gaggenau mostly). Clearly if a couple of layers of mark ups are going onto the materials, then the gap widens.

flying haggis":ndogmm03 said:
just to put my own mind at rest do you have a "ball"park figure for rhino scrotum carcases

And what do you use for the cabinet knobs?

Back