Yeauch....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I experienced possibly the most unpleasant sensation while woodworking so far. I'd sawn a dubious Yew log on the bandsaw; wormholes and rot visible from the outside, but I needed the practice before starting on some more hopeful logs. But it was so beautiful where the spalting hadn't gone too far I thought I'd see if any of it rescuable by leaving it in the firewood pile for a bit to see if the worm was live or not. First, thinks I, I'll take the bark off with my drawknife. Swish, swish, oh. Urgh. Yuck. I managed to slice right through the middle of one of the little critters. :|

Conclusion. The woodworm's live then. :roll:

And just to make this a marginally useful post; Dealing with woodworm.

Cheers, Alf

Don't suppose that bloke has a Material Safety Data Sheet for that diesel/mothball/lead concoction he's squirting everywhere....... :? :)

waterhead37":1wjmg4lw said:
And I thought you were a celebrity who would be quite happy to eat it! I think you failed your bush tucker trial.
I'm waiting for the LN or LV workshop salt and pepper set... :roll:

Scott, yes indeed. It'll certainly do for the critters, but probably everything else in the vicinity too. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

In a similar vein....

I've been given a really old bed (victorian) that is solid walnut. FULL of wormholes and the feet are so rotted they're almost powder. The holes *look* old, but I can't be sure there's no active worm in it. Who's got some pointers on how to check? Be nice to have the wood as there must be 3 to 4 cubic feet at least of good material, some of it 5" by 5" and most of the boards at least 8" wide.

Thanks.

ive been told that a reasonable check is to tap the wood with the holes facing down and any fresh dust falling out would indicate activity.
I had an old workbench a couple of years ago which was full of holes and syringed every hole with treatment thinking that was it sorted. A few months later around july time. i noticed lots of dead/dying insects about 1mmlong which were identified as woodworm beetles. I scrapped the bench and buit a new one.
My understanding is that they can remain in the wood for several years before adulthood but dont quote me on that.
Beejay

Back