• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Yeauch....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I experienced possibly the most unpleasant sensation while woodworking so far. I'd sawn a dubious Yew log on the bandsaw; wormholes and rot visible from the outside, but I needed the practice before starting on some more hopeful logs. But it was so beautiful where the spalting hadn't gone too far I thought I'd see if any of it rescuable by leaving it in the firewood pile for a bit to see if the worm was live or not. First, thinks I, I'll take the bark off with my drawknife. Swish, swish, oh. Urgh. Yuck. I managed to slice right through the middle of one of the little critters. :|

Conclusion. The woodworm's live then. :roll:

And just to make this a marginally useful post; Dealing with woodworm.

Cheers, Alf

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't suppose that bloke has a Material Safety Data Sheet for that diesel/mothball/lead concoction he's squirting everywhere....... :? :)

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
waterhead37":1wjmg4lw said:
And I thought you were a celebrity who would be quite happy to eat it! I think you failed your bush tucker trial.
I'm waiting for the LN or LV workshop salt and pepper set... :roll:

Scott, yes indeed. It'll certainly do for the critters, but probably everything else in the vicinity too. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

In a similar vein....

I've been given a really old bed (victorian) that is solid walnut. FULL of wormholes and the feet are so rotted they're almost powder. The holes *look* old, but I can't be sure there's no active worm in it. Who's got some pointers on how to check? Be nice to have the wood as there must be 3 to 4 cubic feet at least of good material, some of it 5" by 5" and most of the boards at least 8" wide.

Thanks.

beejay

Established Member
Reaction score
ive been told that a reasonable check is to tap the wood with the holes facing down and any fresh dust falling out would indicate activity.
I had an old workbench a couple of years ago which was full of holes and syringed every hole with treatment thinking that was it sorted. A few months later around july time. i noticed lots of dead/dying insects about 1mmlong which were identified as woodworm beetles. I scrapped the bench and buit a new one.
My understanding is that they can remain in the wood for several years before adulthood but dont quote me on that.
Beejay

Latest posts