Year 10 slowly getting the hang of it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things that comes up from time to time is the difficulty or slowness of boring larger diameter holes with Forstener bits in Hard Wood with Low Power Drill Presses or Lathes.

My solution is to start the hole with the largest drill to form a re-location socket, because you loose the central drill guide, then remove the core with smaller drills in stages.

This is how the holes were done for speed on the candle holders but works equally well in large 80-100mm bores in Vases etc.
DSCN4729L.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4729L.jpg
    DSCN4729L.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 698
I, like many others am seriously impressed by these beautiful segmented turnings.
Would it be possible for you to post a WIP of the next ones showing how you make up the blank?
I know it's said that one should not see certain things being made (sausages and laws I believe) but I'd love to know exactly what the steps are to create one of these beauties.

Zeddedhed":1nw9ttdj said:
Would it be possible for you to post a WIP of the next ones showing how you make up the blank?
There's nothing very critical or difficult other than the segment angles in these simple pieces, just make sure that segment stock is square and true to start with.
There is a basic method WIP(2.6mb pdf) on my web site. and an older Version using the Lathe to aid assemble

For the Candle Blocks you just need to pass the wood strips through a thicknesser to ensure you have good mating surfaces for glue up and pass through again once cured to clean up the finish.

If you don't have a thicknesser then you will need to hone your hand planning skills somewhat to prepare segment stock.

Having survived the short break they took to visit Harrogate, these two finally got their pedicures completed and glossy coats on, and yes to those who saw the lathe bed induced dings they did come out with the steam treatment.
DSCN4734.JPG
DSCN4735.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4734.JPG
    DSCN4734.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 618
  • DSCN4735.JPG
    DSCN4735.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 618
Another two great pieces. I have used water and also the steam route to get rid of the odd ding as well and normally this is followed with a sigh of relief especially after spending quite a bit of time making something.

The first is my favourite of the two

A couple more with some salvaged Mahogany that got misused some years ago making some now unwanted shop jigs.

Beech and Mahogany, (110 & 112mm dia.)
DSCN4745.JPG
DSCN4746.JPG

DSCN4747.JPG
DSCN4748.JPG

Bases as per.
DSCN4749.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4745.JPG
    DSCN4745.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 570
  • DSCN4746.JPG