Yarn bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Olive yarn bowl with an Oak foot.
IMG_20200409_175725.jpg

That's beautiful. I love something classy such as that and not the goofy/nasty ones that some have made out of ceramics.

I'm of the same opinion as Derek, love the bowl, a really nice form but a contrasting wood for the foot would have been more to my taste. Just personal preference.

I'm of the same opinion as Derek, love the bowl, a really nice form but a contrasting wood for the foot would have been more to my taste. Just personal preference.
Well the Oak is only there because I ripped a hole through the bottom... Also all my wood is from firewood so I'm a little limited with colour,. Cheers

Explanation understood, but the end grain on the oak looks rough compared with the olive. You are clearly a skilled turner. I've never heard of a Yarn bowl. What is it meant to be used for?

Explanation understood, but the end grain on the oak looks rough compared with the olive. You are clearly a skilled turner. I've never heard of a Yarn bowl. What is it meant to be used for?
From the photo the Oak does indeed look a little textured in comparison but it's smooth due to a water based sealer available here in Spain, it's cheap and works pretty well..

Well the Oak is only there because I ripped a hole through the bottom... Also all my wood is from firewood so I'm a little limited with colour,. Cheers

Bin there,done that mate! :oops: On the occasions that I do go through 2 things happen. 1. I say 'golly gosh' several times and 2. I carefully turn the hole to a chamfered edge and then turn a small chamfered disk in contrasting wood to fit in the hole so that the bottom face is flush with where the bottom of the bowl was/should have been and glue it in place. Then remount the bowl and turn it down flush with the inside of the bowl. I have always been careful enough so far so as not to go through again :cool:

Funnily enough I just sold the only yarn bowl have made so far. Done in tulip wood that I got from a couple of blokes taking a tulip tree down on the banks of the Canal du Midi near Carcassonne

Tulip wood yarn bowl 1.JPG
Tulip wood yarn bowl 2.JPG

I love the grain in tulip wood. That piece had a large-ish split down the side which became the slot down to the drilled hole for the yarn exit.

Bin there,done that mate! :oops: On the occasions that I do go through 2 things happen. 1. I say 'golly gosh' several times and 2. I carefully turn the hole to a chamfered edge and then turn a small chamfered disk in contrasting wood to fit in the hole so that the bottom face is flush with where the bottom of the bowl was/should have been and glue it in place. Then remount the bowl and turn it down flush with the inside of the bowl. I have always been careful enough so far so as not to go through again :cool:

Funnily enough I just sold the only yarn bowl have made so far. Done in tulip wood that I got from a couple of blokes taking a tulip tree down on the banks of the Canal du Midi near Carcassonne

View attachment 91472View attachment 91473

I love the grain in tulip wood. That piece had a large-ish split down the side which became the slot down to the drilled hole for the yarn exit.
I've yet to try Tulip wood, in fact I've not really tried many woods in my 2 years of turning but look forward to exploring.... Very nice natural yarn bowl... People tend to like them even if they're not sure what they are 😀

Latest posts

Back