Yarn Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliveB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm based in Kent and I've been woodturning for about two years, still very much a beginner. I'd never heard of a yarn bowl until sister-in-law asked me to make one for her. Apparently they are very useful for those who knit.

Anyhow this is my attempt at a yarn bowl, it's made from cherry about 7 inches diameter by 4.5 inches high. The slot was cut with a 1/8" solid carbide bit in a small router.

Regards,

Clive

Attachments

• IMG_1512 yarn bowl.JPG
    IMG_1512 yarn bowl.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 399
Nicely done I personally would have liked a slightly thinner wall at the bottom but at the same time it does add weight to it which will stop it lifting up every time the wool is pulled.
The finish looks good and you should be proud of that piece.

Thanks Chas and Dalboy,

I agree that I left the wall of the bowl a little too thick for best appearance. Still, it was meant to be put to use and the extra weight does give it a bit more stability.

Regards,
Clive

That looks good. But you are right about the weight. My daughter has dropped a not so subtle hint that it would be nice if the 'wood fairy' could make her one for Christmas.
While plotting how to do one, I did consider that it needs to be very base heavy to hold it down at the yarn pulls upwards. How did you cut the slot?

Hi Returning2,

I drilled the hole first and then just used a flat plywood template with a 10mm guidebush and 1/8 router bit to cut the slot. This required quite a long bit (32mm) which I purchased from Rennie Tools at reasonable cost (no affiliation). My initial attempt to cut a neat slot with a fretsaw and file just didn't work out. I am still not sure if the slot should be right or left handed.

I left the base even thicker than the walls - the knitter in the family seems very happy with it.

Regards,

Clive

I think the side of the cut would depend on where you put the bowl, so not really important.
I have found an old bowl that I started before I gave up turning, it already has a crack in it, so maybe will follow that along.

Back