Yankee spiral ratchet screwdriver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
t8hants":jui8r37u said:
When I was an apprentice Yankee screwdrivers were one of the status tools you were "unofficially" not allowed to use until you were out of your time. Odd, but I suspect it had something to do with not slipping across some nicely varnished piece of yacht.

G
...and the same goes for working on the exterior skins of aircraft. I remember my dad saying that Yankees were not allowed in the Fleet Air Arm for that reason, even though he had one in his toolbox (which I now have) - Rob

I use my Yankee. Not frequently, but definitely for the larger diameter screws. A Cordless (At least under 18v) hasn't got the torque with some timbers, for anything much bigger than a number 10 screw. So I keep my Yankee in good order. Wouldn't let it go no way!

John :)

This has prompted me to dig out my old yankee !

I have cordless drills but I consider them to be less environmentally friendly than a spiral. There is a huge amount of dodgey chemicals and metals in those batteries.

I am also thinking of dropping the use of hard point saws and reverting back to a sharpenable saw.

I have loads of dead saws that are only good for scrap. This cannot be good for the environment !

OK so I am a bit of a tree hugger.....someone has to be :cry:

It would be great if they would allow one to save enough scrap metal to turn in every two years, in exchange for new machinery or tools. Now, that would be what I call recycling! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I am also thinking of dropping the use of hard point saws and reverting back to a sharpenable saw.

I have loads of dead saws that are only good for scrap. This cannot be good for the environment !

They do make excellent hoe blades, I have a couple of blacksmith made prongs, that take an old saw blade as the hoe blade, and dead hardpoints, do very well as replacement blades.

Gareth

sue,
I have read that the teeth of old hard point saws may be ground off, carefully, and the saw then re-toothed as required. I haven't had need to try this yet but it sounds feasable.

xy

Back