Yankee Spiral Adaptor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarviser

Established Member
Reaction score
I was reading one of ALF's recent Blogs about difficulty in getting Yankee screwdriver bits, This is especially so for the smaller 130 size, which has a 7mm diameter bit (advertised at "1/4 inch" for some reason). I know Stanley used to sell an adaptor for the 131 but even they are tough to get hold of.
I made this adaptor from a few inches of 7mm Silver Steel. This is tough but fileable. I think Tilgear sell it.
The 1/4 inch square on the business end is the trickiest as it should be slightly tapered to get a snug fit. The two notches on the other end are simple. The 1/4 square to 1/4 hex screwdriver socket was from a Halfords set (Shown).
yankee%20adaptor.jpg

I believe the 131 has an 8mm dia bit, but you would need to check.

I've had a lot of trouble with Stanley Yankee bits not always fitting their spiral ratchet screwdrivers. Some years ago a friend gave me a Stanley adaptor to take standard 1/4 inch hex bits, but I think it gripped the bits with a ball bearing and you needed a pair of pliers to get the bits out :x .

However, CK make magnetic adaptors to fit all three Stanley Yankee spiral ratchet screwdriver sizes. They are really good - I don't need to bother with the Stanley bits any more. I got mine from Buck & Ryan in Guildford.

Paul

I've also got one of the CK adaptors, holds the bits in by magnet. Altough I still carry my Yankee in my toolbox it rarely gets any use but handy when all your batteries are flat/charging :D

Jason

Ah, the mythical CK adaptors really exist, eh? Never yet seen one, although I always keep an eye out. For those of us who similarly can't find this (apparently not) mythical beast, Tom Price's solution is a neat one for the medium size Yankee (and will fit my MF too :D ) Especially if you use one of those long reach bit holders and cut out the hex wrench step. I think I may actually have some 7mm siver steel already in my possession, so I might give that one a try, thanks, Jarviser.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. The much-despised Toolbank will provide silver steel in a wide range of diameters to your local stockist - if you can convince your local stockist it really is true and that they can order it... :roll:

Yeah, but Matt you don't work in that wonderous emporium known as Mallets of Truro. They took a lot of convincing. :roll:

Paul Chapman":te6rwz0e said:
Jarviser,

Sorry about that, but your's looks really nice and at least you can say "But mine's hand-made" :wink:

Speaking as a man who used a dry iron to heat a gluepot, and light bulbs to heat my tool cupboard, making an adaptor from junk bits already in my toolbox would be the only way for me anyway!

Both SAM and Facom (mechanic's/engineers hand tools) have listed these items in their catalogues in the past, as did Belzer (now Sandvik).

Scrit

Does anyone know an on-line (or mail order) source for the adapters (CK, or other)?

While I'm here, i the Lee Valley adapter available in the UK?

BugBear

bugbear":3bgzvzeu said:
Does anyone know an on-line (or mail order) source for the adapters (CK, or other)?
Certainly not the CK, and I've been looking - hard. :(

bugbear":3bgzvzeu said:
While I'm here, i the Lee Valley adapter available in the UK?
Damned if I can find it on the site... But I believe the rule of thumb is: Veritas = it can be sold by outside stockists. Lee Valley = LV stores only.

Cheers, Alf

BugBear,

As a follow-up, I just spoke to Buck & Ryan at Guildford. The chap there said that CK no longer do them. Buck & Ryan are quite annoyed about this :evil: as they receive regular requests for them - a bloke went there yesterday wanting 5.

He has the CK rep coming in tomorrow so I told him to tell the rep that there are lots of woodworkers trying to find a source for these adaptors.

The only adaptor he knows of that is currently available is from Trend and they only do the one for the largest Yankee.

If anyone wants to buy mine from me, the price has just gone up :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2xi8274h said:
The only adaptor he knows of that is currently available is from Trend and they only do the one for the largest Yankee.
I had a look at one and it seemed to me it'd be terribly difficult to control all that extra weight with the Yankee fully extended. Plus Trend, ergo pricy. :roll:

Now 'scuse me while I go and set up an alarm round my proper Yankee bits... 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Back