Yankee Spiral Adaptor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first gloat someone has given me 2 second hand but good posi #2 drive bits for my 130

I was in Buck & Ryans yesterday inquireing about the CK adapters for the 130 (it wasnt me asking for 5) This was my first visit to them and I was impressed with the stock but the prices slightly on the high side

But they are selling Clifton Planes at list price without VAT
They also stock most Veritas tools

Nigel

Jason/Wendell,

Thanks - it's good to know that the Yankee magnetic adaptors are available and not just a figment of everyone's imagination - it's just a pity that they only seem to be available over there and not over here :roll:

Nigel,

Buck & Ryan seem to have had the "no VAT" offer on Clifton planes for some time now - I bought mine there many months ago because of it. I hope they still have the offer when I've saved up for another one.

Paul

Nigel":1c7svkg2 said:
My first gloat someone has given me 2 second hand but good posi #2 drive bits for my 130

Good gloat, but I think I can beat that 8) I bought an as-new 130 for £4 from a boot sale last year complete with three slotted bits in the original envelope. I sold the bits on eBay for £5, kept the Yankee and made the adaptor for it.
I think you need to be a brave person to use slotted bits on a Yankee.
I first fell in love with the spiral beast on the production line at Vauxhall n 1969 where they were used all over the trim shop to fix various parts like window winders, door locks etc, always using Posidriv of course.

Jarviser":mbdy6ub2 said:
I think you need to be a brave person to use slotted bits on a Yankee.

Brave, foolhardy, or working on something where cosmetics aren't important.

Since I only use slotted screws where cosmetics ARE important...

I also find yankee's short of power compared to braces:

Herewith a tail of many drills:
http://nika.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswi ... 93#message

BugBear

Where slotted screws and a Yankee win are when you need the length for torque, but a brace just won't go/you need one hand for something else.

And let's face it, you can't do the "behold I have come, stand aside inept mortals and watch in awe as my very large screwdriver saves the day" unlocking of the spring mechanism manoeuver with a brace*.

Cheers, Alf

*No doubt Siggy Freud would have had a field day with that... :lol:

jarviser said:
I first fell in love with the spiral beast on the production line at Vauxhall n 1969 where they were used all over the trim shop to fix various parts like window winders, door locks etc, always using Posidriv of course

Around that time the yankee was the battery screwdriver equivalent on site work before the electrics were connected
I have memories of holding light fittings up with one hand and fixing with the yankee
slotted screws were the norm but as Bugbear said they were not on show

How I wish battery tools had been easily available then

Nigel

Back