Yankee screwdrivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Had a quick search through the posts on these, but can't find an answer. Does the Yankee 30A have a return spring or not? Mine looks as if it ought to have one, but the Stanley site refers to the 30 as a non-spring model?
And if it should have a return spring, who might stock them? Again, the Stanley site only lists repair kits that don't appear to include springs.

Dick
I think I have a 30. Let me have a look; if I have got one (meaning if it is a 30) I will not only see if it has a spring but you can take the whole thing off my hands. They do my bluddy brains in. Every time it turns up in my tool bag I think it can't be as bad as last time I tried it, so I give it another chance. And guess what......

I don't like 'em. I'll have a look in the morning. Hope you're OK mate.

Neil

If there is a large screw on the end of the handle, it should have a return spring, if there's no screw it shouldn't. Generally, a '1' in front of the number denotes a spring.

Worth noting that many have their springs simply removed to prevent damage to work pieces should the driver slip and return unexpectedly.

Lots of info here

http://ronswoodshop.blogspot.co.uk/2010 ... river.html

Thanks guys - will look forward to hearing from you Neil, but no thanks regarding taking the 30/130 off your hands as two would probably be one and a half too many for me!
Have looked at the site suggested, and am still slightly confused, as the second picture shows what is called a 30A, but it appears to have the screw cap in the end (to accept a spring?) as does the one in my drawer. But having tried to fit a spring off another Yankee into this one, the comment about ones with springs having longer tubular bodies makes sense, as there would be hardly any space to compress the spring into when closed.
We live and learn! Don't often use a Yankee, but on a recent job a larger one was a godsend.

Thank you, Admiral, Sir! Fascinating reading.
But it still leaves me slightly puzzled. My 30 has the screw in the head which implies that a spring could be inserted, but it is the shorter body, which somewhere it said meant no spring. The Yankee catalogue download shows both the 130 (with spring) and 30 (without) models having similar length bodies.
Ah well, something else to ponder over :D

FWIW my understanding is that the #30 has a shorter stem and no spring - other than that it's the same (incl. same handle) as the #130. But as I don't have a #30 I could be quite wrong #-o

Cheers, Vann.

I have a 30A and a 130A both Stanley Works (GB) Ltd. Sheffield, England

30A handle part length 9.25" - no spring.
130A handle part length 10.5" - with spring.
Spiral and bit holder are identical.
Both have screw plug in handle.

Back