Yankee screwdrivers and pozi bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I was pleased recently when a good friend passed a Yankee screwdriver on to me, as I did not have one. It's a Millers Falls 610A which I believe is a pretty common model:

IMG_0837.jpg

It came with a single flat bit. Now, although I like old slotted screws, for ordinary DIY work I use cross-headed screws just like everyone else. If I am going to use this screwdriver, it will usually be with modern screws. Now, I know that you can get proper pozi bits on eBay, but I've not done that yet. Having partially dismantled this screwdriver and lubricated its works, I tried putting various pozi drive tips in it.

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

I was pleased to find that they work - and do get gripped sufficiently well to tighten screws with.

It's not a perfect solution. Inside the barrel there is a little metal key which rests in a slot. With a proper bit it engages in a notch, and the torque is delivered by a flat end to the bit which fits into a socket. What I was doing was just jamming the flat side of the hex bit against the key, held in place inside a spring. The consequence is that the front barrel does not spin nicely, so you can't really use it to control the positioning. But with sharp screws that does not matter.

So, if you have one of these but didn't use it as it only came with a flat bit, or find one at a boot sale, give it a try - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Hi,

I have a few Yankees and assortment of bits so I am sorted for the moment, but I have a Trend snappy adaptor as backup.
I beleve thare are instructions of how to adapt bit holder to fit.

Pete

Interesting - and $6.90 for a Veritas adapter sounds nicer than £16.63 for the Trend version - but I just wanted to make it clear that if you don't want to buy either of those, or spend time on metalwork, you might find that it's not actually necessary.

Back