Yankee Screwdriver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smart

Chestnut Products
Reaction score
Hi All

I don't normally post in this part of the forum, but I hope you won't hold that against me!

My Dad is heartbroken. Over the Christmas break he was helping me with some woodwork (which usually involves him doing it and not letting me join in!) and his beloved Yankee Screwdriver broke. There's a piece of metal which you switch to change from left to right (or some such, he tried to explain to me over the phone but it wasn't very successful) and this part has broken and been lost.
He has phoned Stanley who tell him this part is not available and he doesn't want to buy a new one as he is disgusted the one he has has only lasted 35 years! Seriously, he would much rather repair it if he can - I'm sure many of you have tools you have become attached to.

So the question is... does anyone know a source for this tool or the location of one that is broken and can be stripped for spares?

Hi Terry,

I have one you can cannabilise for bits but it's probably not he type you are trying to fix, it's a 'Stanley Yankee Handyman #233H', made in the sixties and in shocking condition, it's a shorter version of the proper Yankee - only about 8" long, and has a hollow plastic handle to hold the extra bits.... but it may provide the parts for the ratchet mechanism that you need

jim

Hi Jim

That's a very kind offer, thank you very much. I'm just trying to check out whether it will have the part we need as I don't want to put you to the trouble of sending it only to find it doesn't!
I'm having to do this with my Dad so it's taking a little bit of time.

I hate to lower the tone of the conversation, but how how much would you want for the driver?

Thanks again

Terry

Hi Terry,

I won't want anything for the driver if you think it'll be useful, it's just been kicking about in the bottom of the laboratory tool box for 30 years :D

i can compare it to my yankee tonight - i think i've got a #131 or #133 and just see if simple thing like the button etc look the right size, but i won't take it apart... just in case...

Hi Jim

Just wondering if you had a chance to check out the sliding switch on your Handyman...?

All the best

Terry

Jim thats the only other Stanley handyman I have come across. I have one aswell, of about the same age. They do not seem to work aswell as a proper long yankee.

Bean

Hi Terry,

Had a look over the weekend - it all works ok not the oil has sunk in, but it's tricky getting it to engage the reverse action...

The whole of the enclosed ratchet mechanism is a lot smaller than that of the ordinary full sized yankee screwdrivers - i'd reckon on it being just under half the length and diameter i'd doubt the parts are interchangable but having said that the offer still stands - if you want it PM me with a postal address and i'll send it off

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for checking it out for us, I've been waiting for my Dad to get back to me about it and he agrees with you that it probably won't fit, which is a great shame. Both of us really appreciate your kind offer and the effort you've put into this but reckon it's not worth the further effort of sending it to us. Thanks again though!

My Dad is impressed with the forum (apart from me making him sound like Scrooge's meaner brother!) and I'd like to thank everyone else from both of us for the friendly and helpful advice.

All the best

Terry

Latest posts

Back