Yankee screwdriver drive bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm 2011

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I wonder if you can help me out. I have a few drive bits for a yankee screwdriver.

It says on the packet, for 130AH.

ref 225/1sk

I cant find any info on 130AH

al

The eBay seller superhans0113 may help you. Try emailing him ... raretools at gmail dot com

Welcome to the forum, Al. What's it say on the actual bits? They usually have the model number on the shank, although it's not always easy to read. Also the diameter will narrow down the options on which Yankee models they'll fit - it'll be one of three; 7/32". 9/32" or 5/16".

storm 2011":2a02rkm1 said:
RogerP":2a02rkm1 said:
9/32 = .28125
OK so hopefully that tells somebody something.
al

All you need do now is research which Yankee drivers take 9/32 bits :)
I have a 30A and a 130A and the bits are 9/32.

As an aside, it appears from my very limited experience, that Yankees with three digit numbers have return springs and those with two digit numbers don't.
There's a great deal on the web about these tools but I've yet to find the definitive study.

I think the AH stands for AHHHHHHH! :mrgreen:

My only recollection of these is one huge one my father had that I regularly trapped the little bit of web skin between thumb and index finger in...enough to put me off them for life!

Jim

Coupla of Yankee resources but no definitive study. There's probably something that's appeared in print, but I know not of it.

Checklist of Yankee Tools
Yankee Style Spiral Ratchet Screwdrivers
Aforementioned Ebay User superhans0113 has a handy guide

The 500mm suggests later manufacturer, which is why we're not finding much info; collectors aren't interested, and collectors drive the information gathering. But yep, like it sez - a 130 (and thus a 30 too) should take them. If Stanley had ever made a 130H I'd suggest that the H suffix might refer to a Handyman model (i.e. - to fit a 130A or 130H) - but they apparently didn't, so I won't. :lol:

jimi43":2lov8k3k said:

My only recollection of these is one huge one my father had that I regularly trapped the little bit of web skin between thumb and index finger in...enough to put me off them for life!
Hmm. A slow learner, I suspect :D. According to an old friend from Wolverton Carriage works, you only do that once!

dickm":1di5jrie said:
jimi43":1di5jrie said:

Hmm. A slow learner, I suspect :D. According to an old friend from Wolverton Carriage works, you only do that once!

HA! Perhaps that should be true....I tried since I was about 8 years old....and it was a kind of challenge...

My father was a steel furniture erector for GKN Sankey and they used them for putting shelving together...you know...that horrible angle-iron stuff with nuts and bolts....and I used to go with him on jobs in the Summer to give my mother a rest I think!

Two things I remember...I tried to hold on to the "chuck" when I released the twist ring...(never got that bit either) and the unexpected acceleration to close on the skin when pushing it.

Most times I just chickened out and used the ratchet!!

I have a theory that I was only there to put the bottom bolts in anyway!!! :mrgreen:

Jim

I remember the days before portable kit. I eventually give up with the yankee screwdriver - too many scrapes down the fingers :oops: . At least with a brace and bit hands were safely out of the way.

I can't say I've trapped my finger in a Yankee yet, but everytime I use it I find a diamond pattern of grease on my finger :oops:

Many of the "how our brave factory workers are winning the war" WWII films show extensive use of spiral screwdrivers, at stunning speed.

BugBear

Back