Yandles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in Yandles earlier this week and heard some sad news.
Apparently the owner has had a stroke and things haven't been going as profitably as they would like.
The gallery has closed and it looks like the craft shop and cafe are making a loss, so will be closed later this year too.

The wood shop seems as good as ever, great stock of woodturning tools, materials, good blanks and timbers.

Hopefully they'll ride it out and still be such a great store to visit and shop at.
But with that in mind it might be good to give them some slack if their mail order operation isn't as slick. Also if you visit there and your partner, like mine, enjoyed going to the craft shop and gallery they might not find a visit so much fun.

Worth our support as a good small woodturning friendly business. I wish them well.

As most of you will know, Yandles never makes any comments to anything written on the forums, although we do follow and enjoy reading the messages. We learn from what people have to say about us, especially when we have not got things right and we find it an excellent way of trying to improve our service . Just occasionally people do put up negative posts which we know are incorrect but we feel a public forum is not the best place to have a disagreement and in most cases members who know us will come to our defence, which we appreciate .
In the case of this particular thread the information was so wrong that we felt we had to put the record straight in order to avoid any harm coming to the company. I would also add that we are totally aware that the post was made in a kind and supportive way and that there was no harm meant to Yandles in any way.
Firstly it was correct in that one of the Directors had a stroke about eighteen months ago but has made a good recovery and is currently enjoying a cruise around the British Iles! The company has enjoyed growth for several years which has enabled us to have a six year plan of investment to expand the business. Already a six figure sum has been invested over the last two years on new equipment for the sawmill, a 25% increase in stock in the Hobby shop and an enhanced web site.
This financial year we have not closed the gallery but are currently revamping it. This involves decorating and installing new displays so it was easier to shut it for a limited period, but we plan to reopen in ten days time. The café has always been let out but due to the retirement of one of the owners Yandles is taking it over and will be investing in the region of £60000 to give it an upgrade with new kitchens and more seating . I would add most of their staff are staying with us.
We are holding a much larger craft market on July 23 organised by the Hobby shop to compliment our woodworking shows all of which are free (although they do cost us £50000 to hold) and are our way of keeping Yandles on the map and thanking our customer for their support. Over the next few years we plan some major investments within the company to keep improving on what we can offer our customers, in order that we can keep going for another 150 years.
Finally can I thank all the members here for their support over the years and to add that we take your comments seriously and use them to help us improve our business.

Phew!
For quite some time Yandles has been on my list of places to go when I next need some nice timber. It's a relief to know I've not missed the boat.

That is very welcome news and hope the Director who had the stroke will make a full recovery.

Yandles is one of those very few places where husbands and wives can browse their different craft interests and then meet up hours later for a refreshing cup of tea and something to eat. The staff are usually very helpful and knowledgeable and I invariably come away with something I never intended buying but was so useful or a bargain I couldn't resist it :lol:

Thanks for the update and hope to make many more visits.

Regards Keith

This is definitely good news for me and my wife but I do wonder how these stories originate.
F.

Frank S":3569ieee said:
I do wonder how these stories originate.
What my wife overheard in the craft store on Tuesday whilst I was buying timber.
Luckily it sounds like what was said was inaccurate.

I find it a little sad that they say "Yandles never makes any comments to anything written on the forums, although we do follow and enjoy reading the messages." I don't generally think it does any harm for retailers to get involved with forums like this. Although one has recently looked a bit foolish with a bodged attempt at damage limitation recently.
Engaging with your customers and helping them can really only benefit your good reputations and sales. It seems to work well for Peter Sefton and Workshop Heaven here.

Come on in Yandles, you're well liked and supported here :)

As a fairly frequent, albeit low value, visitor to Yandles I was relieved to read the second post in the thread. There are far too few places where we can see the machinery and excellent selection of hardwoods for sale. Here's to the next 150 years....

Random Orbital Bob":hsjn5dpl said:
I think the lesson learned is not to publish tittle tattle overheard in a public space without first corroborating the information!
This wasn't a case of posting "tittle tattle", but a supportive post praising a good supplier in the UK that has had recent problems.
Yandles themselves say "I would also add that we are totally aware that the post was made in a kind and supportive way and that there was no harm meant to Yandles in any way."
Fact check; The gallery IS closed now, even if only for a short time.
Let's trust that Yandle's correction to what was overheard was correct and that their whole operation will continue with increased vigour.
Do you really expect everyone to contact a supplier to find out why a facility has closed for 'corroboration' about the reason they heard for closure?

Good news for Yandles.
Hopefully. On the other hand if I hadn't posted anything people might have turned up or have ordered via the internet and been disappointed, but not be aware of their issues and why their patience might be needed to support a good business.
At least we've now heard Yandle's side of the story now. Let's encourage them to build their business via greater participation here.

IT is with some relief to me that that Yandles have squashed the frightening post first made. I have only visited three times, but it is a 500 mile round trip for me ! I have used their mail order service also and found it to be all that I expected, and excellent in every way. I usually stay local and enjoy the local hand pumped Somerset cider that doesn't seem to be available up here in the north. The spring show is starting to be a habit and is well worth my journey down. Long may they prosper.

Back