Yandles Woodworking Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just a reminder that Yandles Woodworking show is coming up again. Its on September the 10th and 11th. It's always a good bash!
As always, if anyone would like to meet up I'll be getting the teas in. :D
Best regards
Philly :D

I have never been to this show! :shock:

How does it compare with others - like the Axminster or Ally Pally show? Is there a list of exhibitors? (I see nothing at all on Yandles site.)

Does it offer the usual discounts on the usual stuff?

Anything special or out of the ordinary?

By way of explanation - it's quite a long haul for me and whilst I usually make the trek to the Axminster show I have become rather disenchanted with that in the last couple of years. (Mainly Alf, because I have all the tools I could possibly need and have seen nothing sufficiently sexy to attract me ) :lol:

Are there any demos by people we may have heard of?

Is it only about woodturning, (nothing against it, just don't do it.)

Well Chris,
That certainly was a few direct questions! :lol:
Its considerably smaller than Axminster but there are plenty of manufacturers there as well as traders. Also Yandles is a working saw mill so they have plenty of timber on sale as well as holding some of the show inside there machine room (big, big band saws!!). Loads of special prices on offer too!
As to the demonstators-lots of wood turning, sorry. Bow makers, carving (see you are interested now! :shock: ) marketry, craft stuff.... No big cabinet stuff like at Axminster though.
So all in all, it's a nice lil show-is it worth a fair old drive? Only you can decide that, but I do look forward to it. (only 1 1/2 hours drive for me)
Oh, and I nearly forgot-Yandles cafeteria food and a cup of tea!!
Sorry, did'nt mean to put you off......
best regards

waterhead37":9o2rw7jr said:
(Mainly Alf, because I have all the tools I could possibly need and have seen nothing sufficiently sexy to attract me ) :lol:
Hey, I'm going... *

I was a bit disappointed in the Yandles Show actually. The truly appalling place I was staying at in Yeovil might have had something to do with it, but I also wasn't much impressed by seeing people already coming away with the best goodies before the 10am opening time. :evil: I can't see myself making the effort to go again, despite the Classic Handtools stand, which was good. But then Mike Hancock was at the Southwest Forest Wood Fair which is just that much closer, and if only it hadn't been bucketting down I'd have bored you all with a report. Still, the cakes are good; just more enjoyable when there isn't a show and you can actually get there to eat them. :roll: I much prefer the Axminster show, where at least you can see the full range from various manufacturers and talk to the big hitters of the woodworking world. And the competition is a bonus.

Cheers, Alf

Who always contrives to go to shows when no-one else can make it anyway. Tools 2004 preview day anybody? No? I'll try and leave you something then...

*Just know I'm gonna regret that joke :roll:

Alf how do you get into a preview day ? Back stage full access passes no doubt :lol: or bung the guy on the door a couple o ginsters :p

anobium punctatum":26dzyj0c said:
Alf how do you get into a preview day ?
AP, I woz cunning. I went to the show website and stumped up the wad for the tickets. :wink: On the whole I think waving a couple of Ginsters about would probably get you thrown out... :D

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":2imog4na said:
it's quite a long haul for me

Personally I wouldn't drive that far (I live just west of Cambridge) just for the Yandles show, although I might for the Axminster.

Having friends and relatives in Taunton means I can combine trips and SWMBO gets to see her mum.

Pete

I'll be at the Yandles show, so if you're there please do come and say hello!

Just to put a couple of points in, it's always worth remembering that the Yandles show is completely free (both to visitors and exhibitors) and it is a well organised but informal affair. There isn't a shell scheme as such (that's the walled stands you see at other shows) and it can become a bit congested but that adds to the fun.

I don't get time to see much of the show other than the small area around my pitch, but there are several turners there plus other demonstrators and a lot of exhibitors, including some who don't get to the Axminster show. Unlike some of the other shows I feel it is very focused on wood - some of the other shows (Ally Pally) will have stands selling non-related items in order to get the money in for the space. Yandles don't have this problem, if anything they could probably do with more space!

I know many people who travel long distances to get to this show (Midlands, Essex, etc) and feel the trip to be worthwhile.
I always enjoy this show as it is very friendly and personal and we've found a great B&B just five minutes up the road (mind you we got through some ropey ones before we found this one!).

So, please do come and say hello if you go, but leave the rotten fruit and eggs behind!

Hi All,
Well, Yandles Show is next weekend-I'm going Saturday morning by the looks of it. Drop us a PM if you want to meet up for a chatter!
regards

Hi All

I won't be able to get away from our stand for a coffee (have flask will travel!) but if anyone wants to come over and say hello my earlier invitation still stands!

Hope to see you there

Terry

Latest posts

Back