Yandles Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seemed less crowded than normal, which was nice. Means you can see the demos, and get to the wood!
£490 of wood later, a few sorby bits and a buffer from Chestnut and I'm spent out!!

yes i am going tomorrow then off to Torquay for a break was hoping to get a lathe but got outbid on flea bay shame as it was near Torquay

Had a very pleasant day in excellent weather - there seems to be a good selection of timbers this year?
Came away with some nice planks of Birds Eye Maple.

Rod

Any particular plans for the maple Rod, or just added to the stash for future inspiration ?

I've had a busy day cutting down the wild flower areas in the garden while it's dry, and more raking up and composting of same tomorrow, followed by the seemingly never ending hedging duties :roll: It's that time of year so no Yandles for me I'm afraid with so much to be doing in the garden at the moment :cry:

Still, hope to get some workshop time next week if the weather changes as threatened !

Cheers, Paul

I bought a new Sorby chuck, two sets of chuck jaws, a rasp for my mini-Proxxon and some wood stains. I was quite taken by a piece of Bubinga about 8ft long, 2ft wide and 3" thick, but at over £550 it was a little too much for my budget (even if there was a 15% discount on that price).

A good day out in lovely weather - the demonstrators were finding it a bit warm in the marquee, though.

Paul the trip to Yandles was to escape from the gardening which I had been doing all week after coming back from holiday! :)
Now faced with a few trips to the tip.
No real plans for the Maple but I do like the stuff and never seen it at the places I've visited before - they had racks of it.
For those seeking AWB get down there?
I always look out for small pieces of exotics like Blackwood, Cocobola etc but I couldn't see any this time?
They had a good supply of hickory and I bought a few lengths for future handle needs:)
Henton - I saw that piece too and wondered how anybody could handle it, would need a fork lift truck?
They did have lots of smaller planks too with very nice grain.

The worrying thing is that prices are always going up and lots of the tools I have I could no longer afford to buy?

Rod

Despite a good field full of cars there seemed to be less bodies clogging up the place this time, lot of nice wood samples around if you looked beyond the bargain pieces, although even bargain pieces were in most cases very attractive from a turners point of view for figuring and the amount of economical blanks that could be salvaged from the slabs compared with the price of ready cut versions.
The "Drool worthy" samples of timber carrying some gold plated price labels though.
Glad I don't have to replace any of my machine tool kit either, that too seems to have acquired a proportion of gold fittings at a prodigious rate over the last few years, although some brands seem to be hiding them under some very rough outward presentation details hoping a coat of dark paint will surfice.
Folks seemed to be taking good advantage of the show discounts on consumables to support the forthcoming autumn shed time.

Saw that Bubinga too, trying to convince myself that I needed it! There were some other smaller pieces of the same tree by the look of the figure, but not as nice!

I did manage a huge piece of Purpleheart though, that was easily a two man lift! Got a great piece of Cedar too, before the masses got in there. Seems like there was less of the Burr Elm this time, as the summer show I got some very burred fairly large planks. Also the had no CocoBolo or Bocote, which they always used to be the stockist I went to for them! Maybe import is getting more difficult?

Still plenty to see and buy!

philb88":1sp5lvrx said:
Saw that Bubinga too, trying to convince myself that I needed it! There were some other smaller pieces of the same tree by the look of the figure, but not as nice!

I did manage a huge piece of Purpleheart though, that was easily a two man lift! Got a great piece of Cedar too, before the masses got in there. Seems like there was less of the Burr Elm this time, as the summer show I got some very burred fairly large planks. Also the had no CocoBolo or Bocote, which they always used to be the stockist I went to for them! Maybe import is getting more difficult?

Still plenty to see and buy!

You're right. At the moment there is very little Bocote about, if you want it get it when you can, and the Americans are trying to get Cocobolo Cites protected so its not going to get any easier and there are rumours that it is being stockpiled in anticipation of a price hike.

Neil Farrer":owvtg7ti said:
You're right. At the moment there is very little Bocote about, if you want it get it when you can, and the Americans are trying to get Cocobolo Cites protected so its not going to get any easier and there are rumours that it is being stockpiled in anticipation of a price hike.

Oh - so maybe I should hang on to the small amount of old Cocobolo I have rather than just use it up on a job for some accordion knobs.

Back