Yandles - poor experience

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomosap

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to vent a frustration on here, not sure if anyone else has experienced similar...

My wife bought me the Kreg drawer slide jig from Amazon (supplied by Yandles) for Christmas, and they arrived loose in a Jiffy bag with the manual dropped in.

This struck me as a bit odd, and the jigs have scuffs on them which made me think immediately that they were used.

She contacted Yandles who replied asking why she thought they were used, to which she replied with the above. They said that they removed them from the packaging to save waste, and the marks were through shipping.

I’m not happy with the above, and I don’t appreciate being taken for a mug. Now she’s being asked to pay for postage which they’ll refund at their discretion.

I personally feel that this is abysmal customer service, firstly for not apologising for the problem, then trying to make up some nonsense story about packaging, then expecting us to trust that they’ll actually refund the money!

Anyway, rant over - anyone else experience this poor service from them?

tomosap":fmsw4kmb said:
Just wanted to vent a frustration on here, not sure if anyone else has experienced similar...

My wife bought me the Kreg drawer slide jig from Amazon (supplied by Yandles) for Christmas, and they arrived loose in a Jiffy bag with the manual dropped in.

This struck me as a bit odd, and the jigs have scuffs on them which made me think immediately that they were used.

She contacted Yandles who replied asking why she thought they were used, to which she replied with the above. They said that they removed them from the packaging to save waste, and the marks were through shipping.

I’m not happy with the above, and I don’t appreciate being taken for a mug. Now she’s being asked to pay for postage which they’ll refund at their discretion.

I personally feel that this is abysmal customer service, firstly for not apologising for the problem, then trying to make up some nonsense story about packaging, then expecting us to trust that they’ll actually refund the money!

Anyway, rant over - anyone else experience this poor service from them?

No, I've always found them first rate.

If they have sold you used goods but advertised them as new they are in breach of the Consumer Rights Act which replaced the Sale of Goods Act. This is quite clear that you should not have to cover the cost of returning the item. It seems odd practice to remove the packaging to save waste as you are just as capable of recycling it as they are!

Hopefully they will see your point and sort it.

Cheers.

There are companies, usually on ebay who remove packaging but never to "save waste" only to reduce carriage charges.

Sounds iffy to me and I certainly wouldn't accept that. I suggest you bypass the minions and go straight to the manager / director / owner with some polite but thinly veiled threat of action.
You're within your rights to reject the goods and demand replacement and refund at their cost including postage.

Just realised she bought from Amazon so return to them foc as they are responsible and have a good returns policy.

tomosap":3eikcxqo said:
They said that they removed them from the packaging to save waste, and the marks were through shipping.
Clearly their mistake - the packaging was required to avoid damage in shipping. Silly Yandles.

Yes, I have had very poor service from yandles on more than one occasion, including the very worst instance I've had anywhere.
I can believe your explanation easily.
I go there when I am in the UK because they have a very large range of tools and a fantastic variety of timber, but service? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks to all for the responses, at least I feel like my reaction has been sanity-checked :)

Will see what Amazon have to say, as I believe that to sell through Amazon you have to maintain a certain level of service.

Was the item sent via Amazon or direct from Yandles?
How did you pay for it?
Without seeing the listing you purchased from it is impossible for anyone to comment but if the listing stated brand new in retail packaging then just go for a return via Amazon.
If the item was listed as a customer return well that is what you ordered but as is the way on internet purchases you can still return it at their cost for a refund
The Christmas period may not be the best time to contact a company maybe try again tomorrow.

They said that they removed them from the packaging to save waste,

Nope, thats not used.
And I would REALLY like that statement explained, please? :shock: :roll:

had a similar ish experience with some woodturning blanks, it's as if they literally threw them in a jiffy bag there was no packing inside so they were able to move around a bit, luckily they were all hardwoods and wasn't too bothered as there was no damage, it was a good price so didn't complain.

I've only had positive experiences with yandles - everything has turned up promptly and well packaged.

sunnybob":3u1mfcvq said:

Nope, thats not used.

They had marks on them, not consistent with knocks in packaging (I know this as I knocked them together myself and they don't scuff each other). I also don't believe that a retailer has the right to remove products from their original packaging and still class the item as "new".

The returns service is done through Amazon, but processed by Yandles. As mentioned previously, I object to having to pay for postage when they are clearly trying to pull the wool over my wife's eyes.

powertools":1ua8ctn7 said:
Was the item sent via Amazon or direct from Yandles?
How did you pay for it?
Without seeing the listing you purchased from it is impossible for anyone to comment but if the listing stated brand new in retail packaging then just go for a return via Amazon.
If the item was listed as a customer return well that is what you ordered but as is the way on internet purchases you can still return it at their cost for a refund
The Christmas period may not be the best time to contact a company maybe try again tomorrow.

My wife bought it through Amazon as a new item using a credit card. Nowhere on the listing did it mention that it was opened, or a return, or any some such.

tomosap":304jypop said:
sunnybob":304jypop said:

Nope, thats not used.

They had marks on them, not consistent with knocks in packaging (I know this as I knocked them together myself and they don't scuff each other). I also don't believe that a retailer has the right to remove products from their original packaging and still class the item as "new".

The returns service is done through Amazon, but processed by Yandles. As mentioned previously, I object to having to pay for postage when they are clearly trying to pull the wool over my wife's eyes.

No, you misunderstood... :lol:
I would like to hear Yandles reasons for removing the manufacturers packaging before dumping them into a jiffy bag and sending the item to you. I've never heard the like.
Lodge a complaint with your credit card company, including pictures of the packaging.

Just further to Bobs' suggestion you contact the credit card company, I don't know if they would be interested as the transaction would have been under £100.

I would ring Amazon customer service and explain to them that you used them due to their excellent service reputation rather than go to Yandles direct. They can have a huge influence and I would expect a swift call from them to Yandles will get it sorted.
Amazon should have a free returns arrangement and your transaction was with them as that's where you paid your money. Time to get tough and make a few demands assuming of course that your case is 100% correct and there's no reason to suppose it's not.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201819160
The returns policy offered by Marketplace Sellers must be equivalent to or better than the returns policy offered by Amazon.co.uk (except in the case of Amazon.co.uk's extended Christmas returns policy which not all Marketplace Sellers follow).

I just returned an item this morning that had been fulfilled by Amazon but not sold by them. Just click on your orders, click on return item and follow instructions. I chose to take it to the post office and have them scan the QR code I'd downloaded in the process, nothing to pay and the money's already been returned to my account. No reason for returning other than I thought it was poor value for money.

Given Lons' post above, it should be just as easy for you? Don't even bother communicating with Yandles, just us the Amazon system?

sunnybob":km7v6nhw said:
tomosap":km7v6nhw said:
sunnybob":km7v6nhw said:

Nope, thats not used.

No, you misunderstood... :lol:
I would like to hear Yandles reasons for removing the manufacturers packaging before dumping them into a jiffy bag and sending the item to you. I've never heard the like.
Lodge a complaint with your credit card company, including pictures of the packaging.

Ah, apologies SunnyBob, I see what you mean now... I think the issue is that, as has been said, the transaction is less than £100 so credit card company most likely won't get involved.

I'll speak to my wife later and see if she's been in touch with Amazon. I'm pleased though that most people believe this to be poor service on their behalf, so my expectations weren't unreasonable.

Suffice to say I won't be buying anything from them in future.

I hadnt realised it was a relatively small amount of money. By all means use amazon.

Its sad with Yandles, as i say, if youre in the area, its a very well stocked tool shop and an absolutely amazing selection of hard and exotic woods, but the service as far as ordering stuff is abysmal.

The consumer protection on my credit card is principally for lower priced items. Anything over a certain amount isn’t covered but pretty sure there is no minimum.

Anyhoot just use the amazon returns process and you’ll be fine

Back