Xtreme Xtension and WoodRat - marriage not made in Heaven

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
The Xtreme Xtension is a superb example of design over function IMHO.

At least as far as using it in a WoodRat goes. The additional length makes it unusable. Every router cutter protrudes below the router plate making plunge routing impossible or doing any of the things that the 'Rat is great for.

Adding the two raising plates allows me to just about put my shortest 1/4" cutter in and use it with any degree of safety and usefulness. None of my 1/2" cutters will fit to allow 'normal' operation.

The diameter of the Xtension means that you cannot get it through the NS groove and so you're forever messing around with watching the plunge depth or fiddling with readjusting the cutter (when you find one that actually doesn't foul the work before you even start plunging).

I don't think I'm missing anything here in the set-up. But always willing to learn especially if there is a solution.

So far really disappointed since I was getting very fed up with the hand gymnastics needed to (a) hold the cutter at the right depth with hand one (b) rotate the router spindle with hand two so that (c) I can then hold in the locking button with hand three and with (d) hand four use the spanner.
:evil:

In this set-up the Xtension is truly duff and one of my most disappointing purchases.

Router is a DW625

Roger,

Sorry to hear of your problem. :( I don't have a rat but am thinking of getting an Xtreme Xtresion to use in my router table. I read that it should solve the 4 hands required to change the bit in that application. :)

Do you have a router table to use it in? If you decide that its not for you let me know and (funds permitting 8-[ ) I will buy it from you. :wink:

Hi Dave

Yup..it certainly DOES resolve the four hands issue and was the main reason for buying it. I do have an old router table but since I got the 'rat I've not used it much....so I will bear you in mind if I do decide to sell the Xtension.

Cheers

Roger

Roger,

I do use my XX with the Rat. I have quite happily dovetailed with it. My workshop it too cluttered at present to set it up and photograph it I am afraid but I was using one raising plate and IIRC a DC3 dovetail cutter and an 8mm straight cutter. My router is a DW 625 I was able to depth the bits as usual.

I grant you it is a bit of a tight fit and initially I was worried that it couldn't be done however it worked a treat and does indeed save that awful hassle of changing bits in the Rat.

I think the new Eliminator device has a lower profile than the XX and may fit the Rat better.

Chris

I think that you have hit the nail on the head in that the XX works but with a VERY limited range of cutter combinations such as the set that you used.

For my part, I use the 'Rat for many more functions than just dovetails and so the lack of versatility as to cutter choice is a 'no-no' for me.

Roger

I found the xx my best buy in a long time and use it in the record router table with the sliding bed . I bought it after having a large raised panel cutter comming out of an extended collet .

Roger

I use the XX but only in the router table where I think it comes into its own, corect me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that it was designed spexcifically for tables.

Hi Roger,

If the XX is causing problems, the Eliminator chuck will get over it.
It works in the same way, so you only need a hex wrench to swap bits, but as its a direct replacement for the collet and nut, the router spindle length doesn't alter.
It's sold by Woodworkers Workshop 0845 165 9244http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk
It's only available for a few models at the moment, but the DW625 is one of them.

cheers,
Andy

Like the look of the XX and having spent a while wresting with changing cutters in my table again at the weekend it looks to be a great idea.

Only trouble seems to be the cost as I was quoted £50 when I finally tracked down someone to ask as they don't quote prices on the website.

Does anyone know of something similar at a more reasonable cost, as although it looks good £50 seems an awful lot, useful though it would be !

Thks

Chisel,

The XX does extend the bit and cannot be used in all circumstances. The Eliminator does not extend the bit except a little bit and only then if you want it - https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ght=xtreme

Neither is cheap and I don't know of any others cheaper. An ill-fated Jacobs chuck (no longer available) designed for quick bit replacement was about the same price. These things need to be made with great precision and I think that plus the small market for them, is what accounts for the cost.

Both the XX and Eliminator make bit changes totally painless and very quick - which makes them well worth the money for me.

Latest posts

Back