xp2 update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought some new software today (painter 9) but it tells me into update to xp service pack2.

Went through the microsoft blurb and arranged update to take place at
11.00 hours. Nothing hppened, I expect it works on a certain time zone.

Does anyone know what time to set the updating time for the U.K. for getting the download at this time?

It will download at the time set on your PC, it is not timezone specific. Try going to windows update and setting off the update immediately.

SP2 is a massive download and can take up to 90mins

You can run Windows Update manually & download & install any critical updates then & there. I prefer to do it that way myself so I can control when large downloads occur - being a bit paranoid I always run Windows Update, Norton Liveupdate & Zonealarm update check manually every morning before I start doing anything else with the PC.

Be prepared to wait a while though, from what I remember SP2 is fairly large (10+, or several 10s of Megs - I honestly can't remember).

Richard

DW

You should not need the update to run your new software as SP2 is only security stuff (mainly firewall and the like) - not core Windows updates

Tony":1t42m9a9 said:
DW

You should not need the update to run your new software as SP2 is only security stuff (mainly firewall and the like) - not core Windows updates

Thats not true Tony. SP2 is a major software update to XP

WiZeR":1gykceqn said:
Tony":1gykceqn said:
DW

Yes it is Wizer. Sp2 IS a major software update to Xp. However, it is a major update in the area of security only. It is not a core update for applications, just security.

Microsoft got a big kick in the teeth once-to-often over their secrutiy issues and so released Sp2 to shut a load of wide open doors.

sure, they may have thrown a few other fixes in there too, but 99.9% is security updates for online threats

You can set XP to automatically download when you are connected.
If this is set then you will be downloading a bit at a time so if on a slow dialup speed it could take weeks before sp2 is installed.

Tony":1cvjpkvb said:
WiZeR":1cvjpkvb said:
Tony":1cvjpkvb said:
DW

Yes it is Wizer. Sp2 IS a major software update to Xp. However, it is a major update in the area of security only. It is not a core update for applications, just security.

Microsoft got a big kick in the teeth once-to-often over their secrutiy issues and so released Sp2 to shut a load of wide open doors.

sure, they may have thrown a few other fixes in there too, but 99.9% is security updates for online threats

Tony, SP2 includes not just driver updates for Bluetooth and Wireless technologies, but also major alterations to the way windows utilises them. Also SP2 updates directx which is not security related and is also a major change in the original way XP uses this driver package. The biggest software update within SP2 is WMP9 which again is not security related but a major upgrade to the old WMP. These things I have mentioned are actually the bulk of the Service Pack in terms of megs. The security updates, whilst very important, are not actually the reason for such a big Service Pack.

With regards to your original post. Many programs now require SP2 to run.

Dewy":yttfdml8 said:
You can set XP to automatically download when you are connected.
If this is set then you will be downloading a bit at a time so if on a slow dialup speed it could take weeks before sp2 is installed.

Don't quote me, but I am prety sure SP2 will not download automatically, I think you have to be present.

my 2p worth is take a long had look at the software and decide if you really need it. My experience has been that SP2 has a huge performance hit on the machine, with everything running much slower after it is installed

Les

Opposite experience to Les here. I've rolled it our to 600 machines and have found a general increase in performance. I would recommend it to everyone from a security standpoint if nothing else.

Alan

sxlalan":3lpz34qd said:
Opposite experience to Les here. I've rolled it our to 600 machines and have found a general increase in performance. I would recommend it to everyone from a security standpoint if nothing else.

Alan

6,000 machines here and generally been ok.

OK Wizer :) Other stuff is in there. But media player and directX. These are updated regularly and outside of SPs.

Bluetooth and wireless are a small additions

I stand by my point. SP2 is not a major upgrade, nor 'essential' in any way. As for WMP9, that has been superseded by WMP10 since mid february

Personally, I have not loaded SP2 on any of my machines (only 40) as the security measures I have in place from various vendors is far beyond anything microsoft can provide and they all have the latest versions of DX and WMP10

I have read in the industry newsletter that most people find a significant performance hit when SP2 is installed

yuh good point, but you indicated that DW shouldn't need to install SP2. But some software has been designed to use the core updates within SP2.

I was told by my computer adviser that the security update in SP2 was essential, and so have it on my machine. Haven't noticed much change in speed, but was hoping to buy an older Nikon film scanner and fortunately discovered just in time that SP2 completely messes up the relevant Nikon software on many machines. Not sure who is to blame, but from a few other scanner related experiences, I suspect that the cynic who said XP stands for eXtra Problems was right. SP2 is probably short for Some more Problems Too.

just 1 machine here... suffered the SP2 download on 3 occasions for it to go belly-up on installation... no explanations, no feedback, no nothin... Nice to see Microsquirt being as reliable as ever...

Back