xmas presents for youngsters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, I don't of course know what tablets your 2 little girls have, but my wife has an ASUS tablet (I also don't know why!!) and that measures 260mm x 180mm x 20 mm (closed). I assume they will bring their tablets with them when they come, either in their checked bags, or in their carry-ons.

Being "generous" with wood sizes I reckon you could add, say 25mm to each of the actual dimensions, to end up with a stand or "cover" of some sort, complete with an inlaid decoration on the lid (a butterfly, or a cat, say) which would still go in their suitcases or go in the cabin with them on the way home.

I dunno, but as others have already said, I guess that if you Google for likely designs you'll find something that fits the bill on each count - AND, if you talk to the parents beforehand as to what their current likes are (ponies, or whatever else little girls like) you could end up with 2 custom "covers/cases" or stands which would be unique to each child.

Just a thought

In the category of tablet stands , perhaps St. Roy's single piece of wood butterflied book stand might be a thought. It is made to the same principle as wooden pliers from a single plank. The hinging is cut in with chisels or a sharp knife , halfway through from each side at forty-five degrees and the plank re-sawn from each end to meet them. Then the entire structure is separated ,with great gentility, to butterfly out from the central hinge. Never made one myself , but The Woodwrights shop probably has the video free for watching.

Andy, I shall consult with the parents opn the tablet stand. i know one of them has a fold out soft case which stands the thing at 45 degrees. I suspect the other has very similar.

Lanemaux, that so far out of my skill range that I have no idea what youre talking about.

Dolphin bandsaw box is still top of the list.

Me as well amigo. But if you check out the woodwrights shop video archive for bookstands , and watch him do it , he makes it fairly clear. I believe it is called the Roubo book stand. Besides , any excuse to watch Roy is worth a punt. He also did a show on archaic toys.

Resuming they're girly a necklace stand. Cut out silhouette with screw in pegs so it can flat pack to take home and a wooden fob on a simple chain to start things off. Silhouette of something they like with a possible repeat on the fob.

AES":2zic4hhd said:
Another "thought" Bob. If their Dads are indulgent I assume they both have (or will soon get) mobile phones? Would it be possible to make customised decorative carrying cases, or perhaps stands (for charging, playing music, etc,) for them?
Somewhere in the house I have an i-pad stand which was probs cut on a cnc with the words BIG BOSS on it. It's just a groove routed at an angle of probably 55 deg. as counterbalance. Mine is made from some composite but they would like nice made from a nice bit of offcut wood tbh...
My boy bought mine for Fathers Day from the stalls at school fete.
For a feckin' fiver. That I gave him.
I don't own an i-pad obviously.
Neither am I BIG or the BOSS.
Still it's the thought that counts as they say Bob.
:|

(written before the last few answers but forgot to hit send before getting called up to sort out the Sunday Roast. May as well post it anyway) #-o

Just looking at Coley's post above and my mind wandered back a few years...to when I blagged Glastonbury Festival into, not only, letting me in for free as a didgeridoo maker (I'm not making this stuff up I swear to God...) but giving me a prime spot up in the Green Fields next to some hippies in a bus who made the best bread I have ever eaten baked in a mud oven. :roll: I was young enough to live off the back of my smile as they say. Good times but we're dangerously close to reminiscing...

What about a Bullroarer?
This is an Aussie Aboriginal means of communicating. (I saw it on Crocodile Dundee so no arguing at the back).
No idea how them fellas kept in touch using these but they are dead easy to make and even better the girls can make them with you.
The shape is easy to cut out, taper the edges and attach a bit of string and get swinging.

Kids love all that hands on stuff then:
Wheeee!!! it makes a noise and you can change the noise by changing the swing speed. They can paint them up and stuff if you want to spend some time with them etc teaching them a bit about aboriginal culture. They will remember that long after the i pad stand is gathering dust. Kids maybe tech savy now but they still love being kids when you help them.
Whether you make up any stories to entertain them about your years in the outback during the DreamTime is up to you.
Personally I can't see the point in being around kids if you can't make up outrageous and entertaining lies to make them laugh their heads off.
There's loads of guides on youtube to make them but Rocket Science it ain't.

Here's a quick youtube vid about how to use them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kf_RYVt2XQ

Why not something simple that you can make together? Not sure which side of Xmas, but perhaps if they are there afterwards, some basic tools for the present and spend time after Xmas make something. You can of course make something as a gift to inspire them as well.

My Grandad was really good at making things, but as I was a girl I don’t think it ever occurred to him I would be interested, so I am now having to catch up.

Make some memories, far more valuable than things :)

I've taken advice from people much cleverer than me, and she says no to the tablet stands because they already have sufficient. #-o

No way am I making something that will worsen my hearing while they're here. :roll:

A flat pack necklace stand is now on the (very) short list though. :)

They are only here for a week, with xmas in the middle of it so I have to have the stuff finished before they arrive.

ta =D> =D>

This looks like a nice Christmas decoration.
347fcafdbc7ca5cd67fa43ef624f5296.jpg

Perhaps you could add their names on it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It is quite big I suppose ;)
9a8d0617f8be97ea266efff866557b9b.jpg

This was the one I originally saved when I thought of this thread.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back