Xmas presents - come on, what're you getting?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiba

Established Member
Reaction score
It's December now (here at least), so I can ask this now - what are you getting for Xmas? Binoculars for me, a new micrometer, and off the leash to eat as much British Xmas nosh as possible. :D

Difficult one this

My list is currently like this:
(in order of preference but I am only likely to get one of them :? )

Small metal working lathe with milling facility (Axminster mini)
Incra router table fence (The CNC fence I was making is on hold as the machinsist who helped me has retired!!!)

SWMBO has studiously ignored any browsers I've 'accidentally' left open on the Axminster site, so I guess it'll be aftershave this year.

V.

No pressies this year. SWMBO & I have decided to buy ourselves a little digital camera for hols in Feb. My Fuji602 is great for the workshop but not exactly pocket-sized.

And we're not sending any either (well, maybe to nephews & nieces). Instead we are buying chickens, goats & sheep and the like for people in developing countries, a system run by World Vision. Our friends get a bespoke Xmas card telling them where their pressie has gone to. Saves the embarrassment of getting soemthing totally useless and unappreciated.

See www.greatgifts.org

Cheers
Steve

I'll echo Steve to a degree. We're all fed up of 'stuff' and more stuff. My Mum's making us one of her droolicious Christmas cakes. I'll be quite happy to get a (large) bottle of rum thanks very much! Plus a smallish box of odds and ends from Axminster. I know what they are cos I ordered them, but I'm not allowed near the box since it arrived. :cry:

I'm making some toys for my nephew. Helping my son to make a CD/game storage thingie for his big bro, and refurbing an oak cupboard for sis.

Ike

Great idea, Steve :)

Tony":beah5ptq said:
Incra router table fence (The CNC fence I was making is on hold as the machinsist who helped me has retired!!!)

Yeay! Move this to the top of the list, Tony - as someone with an engineering background, you won't regret it! Tilgear is cheapest for the Ultra-Lite, £141 IIRC. Metric racks are $6 + carriage, direct from Incra.

I don't think I'll be getting much - maybe an LN 102?

NeilCFD

Nice one Steve. I am sure your friends will appreciate and love their presents and so will the people who receive them.

My mum is a retired Minister (Captain actually) with the Salvation Army and they are doing exactly the same thing. With the money they raise they buy live stock and send them over to those in need. Thinking about it they might very well be doing it in conjunction with World Vision, i will have to ask her.

I say she retired, but this Christmas will be no different from the last 9 or 10. On Christmas Day she will be down the local Salvation Army Goodwill Centre, where they cook and serve christmas dinner to as many as 20 or 30 men and women who are either sleeping rough, or have somewhere to live but who are not very well off and more importantly do not have anyone to spend Christmas with. To say that we are proud of her is an understatement.

Oh well i do hope that you all get the presents that you want this year, and that you have a good one.

Regards

Woody

Youngest wants to buy me a book - need to surf Amazon. I will drop some hints with eldest for couple clamps. SMWBO will give money, that will require trip to favourite tool store. :D :D

i wanted some woodrat cutters of my eldest . right he said and went and got me an x box . :? :?

I assume most of us on this site would pick some form of tool/implement if asked. Why is it that relatives ignore this and buy some useless,unwanted,never used article. Last year I received a mains tester from my two nieces and I was over the moon. Don't expect anything useful this year though.

My wife always says that she won't buy me tools because I have too many already! I couldn't possibly need more hand planes! Oh well. A trip to Mexico for the family this year, not too shabby nonetheless. Last year someone sent me a goat--I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it!
Merry Christmas to you all!
Frank D.

Frank,

a Goat as in like a sheepy type thing with horns and a terrible temper?

weird man just weird :?

Well so far im up to the rexon horizontal grinder, thanks tony :wink:
And half a dozen things i've won on ebay, couple of planes, spoke shave, marking gauges etc

Just wished I had the danglies to bid for that tool chest, that would of made all my christmases :lol:

Edit: :cry:

The grinder arrived, it didnt work, it got sent back, they dont have any more instock :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ive decided to wait till the new year for the grinder and will get it out of my bonus money :wink:

Instead Ive gone out an blown some money on a Lego Mindstorms set. Always been intereseted in robotics, did it at uni infact, always loved lego. My girls dont so.... when I saw an add in the local classified I thought cool, lego and robotics and with a bit of luck the kids will enjoy it to, doubt it but we can but hope. SAD aint I

Signal

Still not got over the incident with the goat 28 yrs ago on my dads mates
farm.... The Horror the horror.....

Hi Signal,
Don't mind me, that's just some bad Canadian humor--I was just kidding around about Steve's post (he said he'll be sending chickens and goats to developing countries), a wonderful initiative BTW. Christmas is always a great excuse for a tool, and yesterday I saw a used LN LA jack at a price that I couldn't resist. I won't be giving it to myself before Christmas though.
Frank D.

Frank D,

lol, soz I missed steves post so your comments where totaly lost on me :)

Nice one steve very good idea, we have done similar in the past

Signal

I've ordered the '804' TS from Xcalibur( present to myself)
My good lady is getting me the Record DX4000.
I'm hoping Santa will bring me some chisels.(I've left enough clues)

TX

I'd settle for some peace n quiet....

honestly...

doesn't cost nuffin... no need to wrap it...

but can I get it...????

yea right...!!!!!

I have dropped some hints to Santa for a Trend Airshield.

(Being an asthmatic woodworker is a pain!!! :cry: I am allergic to quite a few different woods, so hopefully the Airstream, will help).

Could be worse, you could suffer from Xylophobia...
huh.gif

Latest posts

Back