Xmas Lights Not Working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I've got a set of lights, 240V, no transformer, direct into the socket, maybe 100 bulbs or so. Worked last year, not so this year. First thought, check we have power - yes. Check all bulbs ok - yes. Live wire is live on the whole circuit. Wired in a loop with live going all the way to the end, neutral in and out of each bulb holder on the way back. Each bulb holder has a contact and each bulb has a crappy single wire each side supposedly in contact with each bulb holder. So, if one (or more) bulb has a poor contact or fails to contact does that kill the rest of the circuit?
And I do not have a multi meter thing (well I have, but canny understand how to work it)...

Cheers

Noel

Hi Noel

It always happens doesn't it.

Go to your local superstore, spend twenty euro and away you go. Plenty of time left for ww'ing. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Ah, we must be getting near Crimbo. The merry sound of carols on the radio and males the world over swearing over strings of multi-coloured lights... :ho2

Cheers, Alf

Noely":xyp3wi9w said:
Wired in a loop with live going all the way to the end, neutral in and out of each bulb holder on the way back.
So, if one (or more) bulb has a poor contact or fails to contact does that kill the rest of the circuit?

Yup - the return needs to complete it's circuit as well as the live...no return, no current flow, no ghastly christmas lights! <bah humbug> :lol:

Noel

What a PAIN!!

You can easily check but you will be playing with 240V :x BE CAREFUL

Set the multimeter to a range above 240V AC. Must be AC range.

Connect the black multimeter lead to the NEUTRAL at the plug.

Now connect the red multimeter lead to the live side of the socket where you removed the bulb. If the voltage is highish (maybe 120V) then the blown bulb is in the half between where you are and the nuetral. If the voltage is zero (ish) then the blown bulb is between the one you are testing and the LIVE supply.

Switch mains OFF. Replace bulb. Then take out a bulb halfway between where you just tested and the Live or Neutral depending on above test. Repeat the test going half way between fault and Mains each time. You'll find problem bulb in no time.

Pm me if this is not clear enough

Thank E Street, on the face of it my post looked a bit dopey...what I didn't mention was the possibility that the bulbs or bulb holders were "contact" enabled. Just need to know what these looked like.

Noel

PS Alf & Neil, thanks for your help........and there ain't no Euros around here....

Noely":1l91hwsb said:
PS Alf & Neil, thanks for your help.......
Sorry.
blush2.gif
But if you have to start taking my advice about electrickery then you really are in trouble...
unsure.gif

Cheers, Alf

noely and if that dont work hit it wif a big ammer :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

have you tried a new :idea: 8) :?

noely and if that dont work hit it wif a big ammer

NO no noooooooo..... hellfire Frank... ye've no finesse huh...???

ya hit it... carefully with the 'ammer.....

an dinna worry if ya hit it too hard.... was buggered anyway....

:wink:

Have you checked the fuse bulb? One bulb will be coloured differently to the rest, that's a fuse.Replace that one and you should be O.K

Ta Tony and Jaymar, and the hammer holders...
Will try the fuse buld and the meter.

Noel

No problem Neil.

Noel, who is willing to lend his camera to anybody .......

The way it goes with me is like this:

• 1. Get lights out of box and untangle mess
    2. Plug in - no lights.
    3. Try to find fuse bulb.
    4. Realise it blew last year and have replaced it with an ordinary one. :(
    5. Find a replacement bulb.
    6. Starting at one end, start to swap bulbs to find blown one.
    7. After one bulb swap, theorise that as it is bound to be the last one I try, start again from the other end.
    8. Work way through all the bulbs until reach the one I would have tested next if I hadn't swapped ends.
    9. Swap bulbs. There is light :!: :p 8)
    10. Smile smugly, stand up, stand on lights.
    11. Lights go out. :(
:roll: :oops:

Huh - you want to try it with the "assistance" of an 18 month old tom cat! :roll:

He thought it was the best game he had ever seen, until the lights came on and scared him and then he legged it round the room a couple of times before pouncing on them again, at which point they promptly went off again. :evil:

I gave up and went to the pub at this point! 8)

I will have another go tonight, but the cat is going in the other room first! :D

I dread to think what he is going to make of them when they are flashing away on the tree. I can just imagine it now: -
"Sox no!, Don't Sox, Sox NO! TIMBER, crash, AAAARGHHH!!!!!!" :?

Does anyone want a cat for Christmas? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Taffy Turner":2revy6yr said:
Does anyone want a cat for Christmas?

Mmm..Could make a nice change from Turkey :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

Adam

Back