Xmas is coming ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The money plant is flowering again

DSC01968.JPG

The Wife and I have two in our conservatory at the moment.....Had them for years and look really healthy but have never seen either of them flower???

Is it more likely to occur at this time of year...?

This one is a cutting from plants I've had continuously since 1973. There was one left on the window ledge of a bungalow my parents bought and the cat used to chew the leaves off it. After about six months there was one stem with two little leaves on it - it just wouldn't die. I picked a larger pot , and handful of garden soil and replanted it. That was the beginning. I usually give them away before they get to this size.
About ten years ago I went to speak to a neighbour. I was standing looking at a money plant in her porch that had a couple flowers on it. She saw what I was looking at and said she'd had it for years and it was the first time it had had any flowers and that her friend's plant had just flowered for the first time as well. Really odd, because mine was just flowering for the first time as well.
Yes, it flowers at this time of year. Some years it doesn't flower at at, it seems to depend on the weather through the year - mine go outside for the summer. When I re pot them (I have another the same size, but of a slightly different variety -it hasn't flowered yet) I put chicken manure pellets in the soil about a quarter of the way up the pot - they stink if you use them as surface dressing. Damhikt.

Last edited:
We also put ours outside during the warmer months, then bring them back in before any chance of frost.

One of ours was decimated about 16 years ago when we got 2 new kittens.....They used to climb on it and we thought it may not ever recover, but it did!

Neither have ever shown any sign of flowering though.

it grow's like a weeds here......
if u want to propagate...just pull 1 leaf off and plant 1/2 in a soil /compost mix....keep damp and in the warm....they'll soon root up......
ps, just started our Toms off (outside) and a couple of wild seeded plants are now 4-6" high.....
spring is just around the corner....yipeeeee....

Add me to the list of people that didn’t know these flower. We have a pretty huge one after replanting it in larger pots over the years. We grew some babies from simple cuttings a few months ago and they made nice presents for people, though we did warn them to keep them in a small pot unless they wanted to end up with an enormous monster plant!

Sean

Latest posts

Back