Xcalibur Table Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Has anyone any comments they can make about the Xcalibur range of table saws from Woodford Woodworking Machinery http://www.woodfordwm.co.uk

I want to replace my B&Q saw with something more accurate. I was thinking of the Rexon BT2500A for £280 but having found the Xcalibur range they look quite interesting and a few of the open stand models certainly come within my budget of up to £400

Hi Rookie

Welcome to the group.

rookie":38qkc0jm said:
Has anyone any comments they can make about the Xcalibur range of table saws

As far as I am aware nobody on this group has bought one, but a lot of interest has been expressed in the bigger cast iron models. Scrit, a professional woodworker, looked at the large cast iron tablesaws and IIRC he was impressed. He didn't look at any of the smaller models.

Some of the open stand models are labelled "contractor saws" and normally they are not as accurate as you might want.

IIRC, most people were looking at the 800101 and the 8010101. Both of which have cast iron tables and tilting arbors. Both of these were over your budget of 400.

With tablesaws you normally find that you have to pay 500+ before you get a saw with any real accuracy.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

I am looking at the Xcalibur Table Saws as well, I would like to upgrade from my B&Q saw!

The problem with the 800101 and the 8010101 is they are only listed with 3 phase motors :(, can they be bought with single phase ones as standard?

I have looked at the sub £400 saws and although they are called contractor saws they have cast iron tables and one comes with cast iron wings as well :lol:.

has anyone noticed that they also state a "maximum dado width" in the specs????

worrying........ surely they won`t be CE marked then?

Hi Dave

DaveL":9fyvve8c said:
The problem with the 800101 and the 8010101 is they are only listed with 3 phase motors :(, can they be bought with single phase ones as standard?

Well spotted. It seems surprising that it is three-phase. :eek:

DaveL":9fyvve8c said:
I have looked at the sub £400 saws and although they are called contractor saws they have cast iron tables and one comes with cast iron wings as well :lol:.

Now I'm really confused. Site workers will obviously have to take up bodybuilding before buying one of these.

Have you actually seen one working? If so, please do tell.

Cheers
Neil

Phoned Woodford Woodworking Machinary this morning and had a long chat about these saws. Unfortunately the guy that deals with these was on holiday, but the chap I spoke to was quite helpful.

These saws are made for the USA market, and as such are not CE marked (I was only interested in the lower price range, don't know if this applies to all the range) but are ok for home use. Apparently they send you a form to sign as the guards/riving knife are US style. Motors are induction. Quality is similar to Wadkin AGS (?) They've been selling them for over a year, and the biggest problem they have is keeping up with demand - strange because searching the net doesn't find any reference to them at all either in the UK or US. Dust extraction is via a 3" outlet and blade arbour is 5/8" and is suitable for a dado blade.

If I lived closer I might be tempted to go in and have a closer look.

Woodford could be in big trouble - items HAVE to be CE marked and comply with the regulations - especially for home/consumer use!

Requiring the purchaser signing a disclaimer is unlikely to be a defence.

John

Hello all!

Good Woodworking reviewed an Xcalibur saw in issue 146.
(Just to keep forum members happy, we did this off our own back, we didn't see it here first :shock: :D )
It was the bigger 12inch blade version with sliding carriage etc, making it more of a panel saw. It also had a bigger motor 5hp as opposed to 3hp.
We were told single and three phase versions are available (ours was single) but it's too powerful to run off of a standard 13amp supply.
The saws are imported as American compliant machines, and these are then fully CE regulated for professional use. I'm not sure about an owner having to sign a disclaimer if you get the US version though, as far as we know imported goods should CE regulated if they are sold here, perhaps this a loop hole in the current legislation.
If you want more info on the saw, the issue is still available from Good Woodworking, give us a call on 01225 442244. They cost £3.50 inclusive of P&P.

Andy

I've got that issue :D Thanks for the reminder.

I find it much harder to compare the bottom end machines as there are so many that look the same which possibly (probably) come from the same manufacturing factory. Some retailers may have slight upgrades/improvements over the competition (some probably downgrade) but unless you can view them and compare it's very difficult. Plus I'd have to travel to many different retailers to view, which would push the price up - so I might as well just buy a higher priced item!

Forums such as this one are a huge help.

How about a test review on an Xcalibur Table Saw 8910101 :)

Or, does anyone live in or near Stockport who can pop in and have a look!

Hi Rookie,

The saw you quote is the one we actually wanted to look at as it's specification is the closest to that of the Jet, DeWalt and Record, but Woodford sent the all singing, all dancing version with beefed up motor, carriage etc.
Hopefully we will get a look at it soon though.
In the meantime, you can win the 10inch version which sells for just under £900 inc VAT in our next issue, GW 148 on sale in early April......

Andy

I like the name:
Xcalibur Table Saw 8910101

just rolls off of the tongue does`nt it?? :( (did I forget a "10"???)

andy king":8nxolwzi said:
Good Woodworking reviewed an Xcalibur saw in issue 146.
(Just to keep forum members happy, we did this off our own back, we didn't see it here first :shock: :D )
You got proof of that, Andy...? :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Andy,
Are you on commission? There seems to be a fair bit of "Marketing" going on in your postings! :D
regards,
Philly
(sponsered by SodAll)

Hi Philly,

Nope, sponsored by no one, commission from no one, totally impartial.... except to say buy our magazine, it's great! :D

Andy

Hey andy came we all come round and have a go on your new xcaliber saw , opppps was i not to mention that :oops: .Only jokin m8 :lol:

Back