Xcalibur Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
I am starting to think about lashing out on an Xcalibur 10" Tilting Table Saw (804 01 01). Does anyone know what the Half Cast & Sliding option listed for £50 is like?

Cheers

Alan

Just the question. I'm going to the Philly route, selling my Record RSTS12 and looking at the Xcalibur or SCHEPPACH 2010.

Anyway, Alan, do you have prices for the Xcalibur or any weblinks. I came short of nothing when i googled.

Andy

Lynx,

try this:

http://www.woodfordwm.co.uk/

I have been looking at them and the scheppach 2010 as well, although I havent ruled out the kity 419. With recent posts to the forum discussing problems with xcalibur however, coupled with the fact that I cannot get to Manchester to see them in the flesh I am becoming less inclined to go that route. Seem to be a good saw if you get what you ask for and its not damaged in transit but any problems and customer service appears to be appalling.

Cheers,

Steve.

Guys

I am in the process of acquiring a similar (if not the same) saw made by Europac, but at considerably less money . If you're not too desperate to make your purchase and can wait two or three weeks I should be able to report back on how it's turned out for me. This is the saw
I should add the reason I went this route is because I have already bought a europac bandsaw that I am more than pleased with which was £300 cheaper than Axminster equivalent. The importer didn't have one in stock at the time but he did have a 16" inch on display and I was impressed with that machine.

Cheers Alan

Andy

This is not as simple to answer as you might think, the importer is a friendly fellow and loves to deal. When I asked how much they were He said he lists them at £1100 +vat which is £100 more than excalibur so I said as much and he came back with £800 +vat + £60 for them to deliver in their own van.
Andy Please see PM

Cheers Alan

Guys
Sorry to hear the problems that some have had with Woodford. All I can say is the saws are worth the trouble. I've had my 806 for a while now and it truly is a dream saw.
Alan-the saw looks exactly like mine (minus the sliding table, which I didn't want).
Cheers
Philly :D
http://www.philsville.co.uk/Xcaliber.htm

i went to woodford on wednsday for a set of wheels i was shown the 804 with the sliding table .the motor is housed in side .not hanging out the back the right hand table is pressed steel like on the 802 the sliding table is aluminium and slides on plastice runners as on the 805 the fence is aluminium and runs on aluminiun bars (dont try and move the saw by the bar it will bend )they dont do the bessy clone fence ,except on phillys saw ,i think they have tried to cut costs and i told the chap the only thing woodford have going for them is you can fit a dado ,he is a member of this forum so might shed some more light .

frank
ps i seen tombos wheels so i got some .

Funny enough I sent a e mail off to Woodford yesterday enquiring if I could purchase the sliding table for £50 for my 804 still waiting for reply.

It is ashame that they don't do the bessy clone fence for the enclosed motor type 804 because that is some mighty bit of kit

if i could just add my 2 cents...

firstly there is nothing i could find on the market that comes close to the 804 in terms of quality, features and price. In spite of the problems i have had getting mine i am certain i have made the right choice.

I would also say that the customer service i have gotten from woodford is very good, they just they seem to be very accident prone. As each problem has happened they have gone out of their way to put it right. However i have had my machine for about 3 weeks and have yet to cut any wood :cry:

My mistake was my impatients to get the machine, i waited for the promised new stock but in the end could wait no longer and did a deal on the demo machine in the show room. This machine was partially setup and had no packaging. I do blame woodford for not properly protecting the machine as the damage caused by the courier could have been avoided.

The machine that Woodford sent in a box and in perfect condition to replace my damaged machine was completely different having an internal motor but still has a cast iron top and accepts a dado the dust collection is much better. If it were not for aluminium fence i would have kept it.

this is the beast http://www.maoshan.com/tsc-10ras.htm

Alas i am told the 804 as was, is to be replaced by this new pretender and the demo 804 that i originally bought which i still have is probably the last one.

so there you have it, if you want a saw from woodford get one in a box and you can avoid all the problems i have had, but if you want an 804 then you may be out of luck. Though i think if enough people say they want the old 804 then maybe they will again import them.

tom[/url]

Thanks all, though I think I'm more confused now than ever! Tombo, what is the difference between the old and new style 804s as you understand it? I see that the new on has options for metal or iron tops etc. Is the general consensus that the sliding table isn't up to much? What is the fence like on the new 804s, good or bad? What sort of fence is it?

Cheers

Alan

My understanding is that none of the xcalibur saws are CE approved, and that the 804 was least likely for getting the certification. The new machine with its inboard motor and superior dust collection might just squeeze through. The new machine is still belt driven but by a small multi groove poly-v belt. The impression it gave me was of much more precision than the 804 with its motor hanging out the back.

The main differences are as follows

Machine unit 3 inches taller than the 804, maybe the stand is shorter to compensate i did not get that far

NVR switch mounts to the fence , much better than the 804 as it is integral with the machine and the top overhangs by about 8 inches so might be difficult to switch off in a hurry

Pressed steel wings, though i must say i think they could work very well

Fence is all aluminium and very light weight, but again it could work very well just not a patch on the genuine align-a-rip on the 804

also i am thinking that a sliding table on american style saws are less satisfactory as the table is much wider on the left side of the blade than a proper european saw. I think i will save my money and room and get by with some home made sleds

tom

Hi Tom

tombo":23ur3hxq said:
My understanding is that none of the xcalibur saws are CE approved, and that the 804 was least likely for getting the certification.

Out of interest, how can they sell it if it doesn't meet CE certification?

Cheers
Neil

Neil

IIRC CE certification is only required if you are planning to use it professionally/ have insurance cover for accidents or employment protection. I may be wrong, I often am but this is my take on it.

Cheers

Tim

I've just been in the workshop to check my 806 as I could remember seeing a CE sticker. It has got one but it's only on the NVR switch :roll:

Some of the USA companies will not send their products directly to the UK if they are not CE compliant. I was told that the responsibility was with the manufacture

This CE compliance is also causing a number of bandsaws namely Startrite, from being thrown out at colleges from the beginning of the year hence why so many are appearing on E bay. There is some rule on how fast they have to stop which Startrite fail

Newbie_Neil":3weg9w9y said:
tombo":3weg9w9y said:
My understanding is that none of the xcalibur saws are CE approved, and that the 804 was least likely for getting the certification.
Out of interest, how can they sell it if it doesn't meet CE certification?
My understanding is that if it isn't CE certified they can't sell it, legally. All goods being imported into the EU are required to meet European safety standards, wiring, guards, etc. whether or not they are for professional or personal use. This is as much for safety as it is to create a "level playing field" for European manufacturers. Woodford can bring items up to the relevant standard in-house and self-certify as CE-compliant providing the machine isn't one of those required to hold a test house certificate (it isn't), but they must then mark the goods with a CE mark and/or issue a certificate of compliance to the end user and also retain documentation to show that they have taken the appropriate steps to comply. If you've ever bought from Machine Mart you'll know that you get the CE certificate with anything powered - air or electric.

In the case of woodworking machinery it is the law that all machines sold should comply with the PUWER 1998 regulations and the appropriate electrical safety standards such as the EU Low Voltage Directive, etc. I'm sure the local Trading Standards would take an interest if they were aware of non-CE electrical goods being sold.

Barry Burgess":3weg9w9y said:
Some of the USA companies will not send their products directly to the UK if they are not CE compliant. I was told that the responsibility was with the manufacture
Responsibility lies with the importer if the item is manufactured outside of the EU. This is to ensure that there is legally responsible individual

Barry Burgess":3weg9w9y said:
This CE compliance is also causing a number of bandsaws namely Startrite, from being thrown out at colleges from the beginning of the year hence why so many are appearing on E bay. There is some rule on how fast they have to stop which Startrite fail
This has nothing to do with CE compliance. It is the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (1998) at play. There is a requirement for bandsaws (in fact almost all WW machines) to stop within 10 seconds and the smaller Startrites can certainly do this using the foot brake. Educational equipment additionally has to have electromechanical interlocks on all covers (again standard on Startrites supplied to educational establishments for many years). I suspect that whoever was tasked with making the safety assessment (erroneously) decided that a DC-injection brake was required by law (it isn't) and that the machines couldn't be retro-fitted (again erroneously as they have induction motors) - potentially a gross waste of public funds IMHO

Scrit

Back