Xcalibur 805

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doozer":tdl3tps6 said:
Meanwhile I have been looking at the Record TSPP250. It can't take a you-know-what cutter, but the dust extraction is well organised and I like the pull saw facility - any other comments?
Cheers, Doozer

Doozer,
IMHO Give the Record TSPP250 a miss, stick with your first choice or look at
other saws.

hope this helps

bramers":2rfvv3eo said:
I am a carpentry and joinery student and have built my own workshop i am tool/ wood crazy.
Hi Bramers

If you are a C & J student I'd have thought that you'd really want something a bit heavier, like the kit you use in college. Thought a secondhand Wadkin? That would be better made, more durable and probably a lot longer lived - probable cost circa £250 + £90 for a motor + £30 for a contactor set = £370. If you go that way look for the 10incher as not all the 12in machines can be readily converted to 1-phase. Are you intending to go into the trade? If so have you thought about discussing your choice of tooling with your tutor? Just a couple of thoughts.

Scrit

i have spoken to them but they just seem so pleased that they Have a table saw, sounds a bit weired i know but they dont seem to interested in students buisness outside of the college. i have thought about that but i like new and my shop is not that big so it needs to move so i can have some floor space again, i think that is a problem that most of us have.

the 805 seems good what do you think.

bram :shock:

bram i have sent you a pm you seem so set on the 805 (can i ask why )as scrit says look for a good s/h ts what do you need a dado for?? ,you say you want new look to the states to see t/saws as old as the hills and still going strong have you looked on ebay for new contractors saws i think the firm is from down south .take your time looking around for your saw you will want it to last a life time .

frank

where can you buy in the states and get it imported from? plus how do you sort out the electrics? and last of all what saw is the closest to the 805 that they sell and what is the price? thanks alot

bramers dont take it the wrong way i was not saying for you to buy from the states .i was trying to explain that cast iron saws last a vary long time and you can buy them over here ie wadkins and others if you really want the 805 then i suggest you phone woodford ,i am only trying to help.

frank

yeah i know, it is realy helpfull that you are telling me this it all helps me decide what to buy. the trouble is the more i look into it the more i think and i just get swamped with all the variety and choise and the more i look and read the more i want to spend and the more i need to save. do you know how long you have to wait until they have them in stock?

Hey sawdust,

i like that back plate you made for your saw, Its on my list of things to add to mine though i was going to use wood looks like you used aluminium might just copy that. I guess you have made plate for the bottom too so that you can attach the hose. But the coffee mug on the CI top, yikes i can just see the rust ring :wink:

Tom

bramers":23yp1p8n said:
yeah i know, it is realy helpfull that you are telling me this it all helps me decide what to buy. the trouble is the more i look into it the more i think and i just get swamped with all the variety and choise and the more i look and read the more i want to spend and the more i need to save. do you know how long you have to wait until they have them in stock?
Hi Brammers

You need to decide what you want a saw to do and to set your budget before you can decide on what you want. If you are going into the trade forget about the dado head path - a radial arm saw is easier to guard and safer than this device on a table saw as your tutors should have told you (assuming you ashed the question) - and even self-employed in the trade you need to follow the rules. This issue should be covered whether or not you're doing C&G, NVQ or CITB.

Scrit

Scrit,
Dado blades in table saws are NOT,as you so often imply, illegal,they must,however, be guarded,which is EASIER to do than you might think!

If a Tenoning jig is used, there is no way that the blade can be guarded!No-one, not even you,ever mentions that!

I've been self-employed for 35 years,and have used,and still use,from time to time, both of the aformentioned.

So, Arrest me!!

TC

TC":ity94xl7 said:
Dado blades in table saws are NOT,as you so often imply, illegal, they must, however, be guarded,which is EASIER to do than you might think!
OK, post a photo of your set-up or tell us all where you can get a short rip fence with top mounted Shaw guard, then.

If a Tenoning jig is used, there is no way that the blade can be guarded! No-one, not even you, ever mentions that!
Oh I have done in the past.

I've been self-employed for 35 years, and have used, and still use, from time to time, both of the aformentioned.

So, Arrest me!!
Why bother - you obviously couldn't ever get a CSCS card with that approach to life. But then you probably think that square blocks on spindle moulders are safe, if you know what they are. :wink:

Scrit

Hi

Perhaps this is the wrong time to say anything but in the interests of SAFETY I think it's worth a comment. I read what Scrit has to say on many occasions and as far as I can tell he has pretty much been factually correct. I learn a great deal from his input. I work in an industry employing around 70,000 people and our safety record is one of the best in the country, from offices to outside traffic guarding engineering metalwork/ cabling etc. The reason our record is so good is that since the day you join the business SAFETY is hammered home and constantly refreshed in courses. The result of this, is after years of earbashing, an approach to everything I and my colleagues do is automatically looked at in a different light, without even realising it. Now I would like to use a dado, but I would also like to know the inherrent risks, and any info on this is good, and may in fact discourage me eventually but that will be my own informed decision after many years of acquired knowledge and still acquiring. What has to be considered is that a lot of people asking whether it's safe to use a dado don't have the experience to know what can happen when it goes wrong. Because when it goes wrong, it goes wrong quick (I have had a kickback with a piece of 18"x18" chipboard and I was on the floor before I even knew I was hit).
So what I am saying is we need to hear what Scrit has to say and an individual can make his own decision, but from my take on it I don't think Scrit could sleep too easy if he didn't keep emphasising the safety issues involved here because at least if people choose to go that way they may think more about keeping bits of their body intact that they have become fond of.

Cheers Alan (In the interests of SAFETY)

True enough, Alan!
Can we all please keep calm-Dado's are a very emotional subject (as a quick forum search will show!) We seem to be split into two groups, the "love it"s and the "hate it"s. Let's just respect each other opinions. And remember-work safe.
Cheers
Philly :D
Who's Mod Alter Ego is getting jittery :lol:

hey sp painted silver now thats cheating :shock: i like the link when you think about it how often do you tilt the saw blade ,i bet tom has got his all drawn up ready to cut .

frank

Back