Xcalibur 804

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llangatwgnedd

Established Member
Reaction score
I do believe that there is a few owners on this site with one of these models so if I could ask a few questions about the m/c

What is the footprint on this saw?

From the photo the riving knife is attached externally y/n is it much work to remove/replace this?

How accurate is the saw?

Did purchase over the net or by telephone?

Thanks in advance :wink:

I just took delivery of my 802 on Friday, the baby of the family, but I think the 802,804 & 805 are pretty much the same, when it comes to the main body of the saws.

The motor is induction, and sticks out the back buy about a foot.

The foot print of my stand, which is the semi-enclosed type, different to the 804, is about 18" by about 24"

I haven't had an opportunity to play with it yet, only quickly put it together to make sure all the parts were there and the motor worked. But the riving knife slots behind 2 bolts attached to a bracket on the back. So atleast you don't need to undo the bolts completely, just slacken them.

The instruction manual, is not that good, or clear, basically its just a general overview, with some blurred pictures. Alot of the assembly parts, bolts, washers etc are different to those shown or described in the manual.

I purchased over the net, and woodford managed to completely get the delivery wrong. I did a post about this the other day"Beware Woodford Delivery". But one thing to be aware of is that their standard delivery is £82 incl VAT. Which to me seemed a bit pricey. Their june offer was to refund this, thats why I took the plunge, but I'm still waiting for the cheque!

Plus I sent them an email about their cock-up, they've not even had the courtesy to reply yet. All it would take is an apology, but most businesses don't seem to understand that is generally all it takes.

However from the very limited time I've had with it it seems a well made substantial piece of equipment, the blade height & tilt mechanisms are smooth. Howver one area which is a bit fiddley is trying to get the motor square and the pulleys lined up. It felt like I needed a couple of pairs of hands, as the motor is heavy. As someone previously on another thread pointed out, it alone weights more than my previous saw.

Time willl tell whether I made a good investment. Hope the above helps.

Cheers

Jel

Sawdust producer
I have the 804 but can't give you much info as I haven't built it yet. The footprint seems to be slightly larger than the tablesize 27 x 40. One thing I can say without fear of contradiction its a heavy b****r.

Drew

Took delivery of my 804 last thursday and built it over the weekend to check everything went together o.k. It seems ok, reasonably well built and heavy. The extension wings are not flat to the main table but I wll be able to shim them up fairly easily. The motor is quiet but tends to bounce around while running. I suspect this may be a poor quality drive belt so I will take a trip to my local Halfords to get a similar length belt but better quality to see if that is the problem.
The most dissapointing thing is that I was expecting a saw with a rip capacity of 50 inches as stated in the spec. on their web site ( I work with 2440 x 1220 sheets quite often). The rails which came with the saw would only give a rip capacity of 30 inches. I have contacted Woodford who have said they will send longer rails !!! lets wait and see what happens. Regarding delivery, it actually arrived 4 days earlier than either I or woodford expected! the driver didn't contact me as arranged but at least he took it around the back of the house and informed my neighbour.

Hi Phil, did it still come with the bessimer lookalike fence as in the photo on their website for the 804 ?

Let us know how you get off with the replacement belt and a warm welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Hi Sawdust Producer
not sure what a real bessimer fence looks like but the fence I have is exactly like the photo. It runs on adjustable nylon pads on the clamp end and a spherical chromed steel glide at the other end. The clamp is lever operated.
Some other things that aren't as written in the spec :- the extension tables are not bevelled, there was no dust extracion point on the saw although it was pictured in the assembly instructions, the switch is not mounted on the rail, in fact it is quite inaccessible and I am considering fitting an extra stop button on the rail in case of emergency.
I haven't used the saw as yet so I can't comment on its accuracy or behaviour (too busy on a patio and pergola project) hope to comment soon

I knew I'd seen something about footprint size... However, some conflicting info and estimates...

I'm trying to order a mobile base in time for delivery of my 805. Therefore, trying to establish the size required to fit the base. I noticed Jel's reference to the 802; however, (as Jel pointed out) the base is a different design to the 804 and 805. Also noticed Drew's estimated slightly larger than the 27x40 table.

However... Need to know for sure if I am to get the base in time for delivery so I can construct the saw on the base. You know where I'm coming from - don't want to have it sitting around for a week while I wait for a base to arrive.

So... an appeal to 804 or 805 owners. It's a mild evening and a visit to the workshop is always a treat... Let me know the dimensions.

Many thanks in anticipation.

:D

matt woodford sell a base its well built and strong its about £32 it will fit the 804 and 805and the 802 you just bolt it together for the size you want

frank

Hi matt I done the same as you and had the base made up ready.

Right, on the 804s if you make a base with the internal measurements
of 21 1/2" x 25 5/8" the 804 stand drops in there nicely as in this picture here
IMG_xcalibur1.jpg

Yes Matt.
The lift pedal works a treat but the saw is to heavy for this type of base to much flex so rubs on the floor should have done it in steel tubing not wood.

Frank, have you got the woodford type? Any flex in them?

Cheers

sp yes i have and so has tombo its all metal and is heavy it has four wheels with two lifters on the front woodford said they priced it to be cheaper than the rest ,the wheels at the back are fixed and the two front ones swivel .

frank

ps no flex

SP, try throwing some 18mm ply or similar on the base and secure it well in each corner. This should stiffen it up and give you a bit more rigidity.

Noel

Latest posts

Back