Xcalibur 804 Tablesaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailer

Established Member
Reaction score
I Picked one of these up from woodford on saturday and with the help of a fellow forum member Frank got down to the business of putting it together,which took a couple of hours and then about another hour or so to fine tune the saw.
It's basically a copy of a murrican "Contractors Saw"...i'm assuming Delta as the 806 is a Unisaw clone (but don't quote me on it as i'm not sure).
It's well built and heavy so a mobile base is a must if you plan on moving it at all,also it comes with a bessimier alike fence but no micro adjustment i'm afraid.
The max cutting capacity to the right of the blade is 30" although it does say 50" on woodfords web site....this is a little misleading but it wasn't to much of a problem for me as i don't have the room for such long fence rails.
It's got a 1/12hp induction motor which in use is quiet but i will say does bounce about a bit but i think this is down to the drive belt being either new or cheap...if it doesn't settle down with use i'll see if i can get a better quality one or even try to sort a link belt for it.The actual fitting of the motor is a bit fiddly on your own so is ideally a two person job.
The height and tilt adjustment is very smooth with good size handles (which lock off) with very little if no backlash at all.
The main table is flat and the extension wings....after a few minor adjustments with a wooden block fitted flush.
They also fit NVR switches now as standard you'll be glad to know.

I haven't had chance to have a proper go using the saw so cannot comment on the acuracy just yet but there's no reason why it shouldn't be........but on the whole very pleased so far. :D

oh aye almost forgot it'll take a dado
Tin+hat+smiley.gif

Anyway here's some pics

*UPDATE*

I fitted a Power Twist Link Belt to the 804.....at £35 a bit pricey for a belt :shock: but i have to say worth every penny :D

I must admit i was a bit doubtful how much difference a belt would make.......but as they say seeing is believing :D

The vibration is virtually non existent now.....i can now balance a penny on the ends of the fence rails where there was no chance of that before.
The noise has also been reduced dramatically.....i'd say 50% atleast if not more :D

An even more happier woody than i was before 8)

Thanks to Noel & Jorden for the info regarding Link belts :D

804002.jpg

804005.jpg

804006.jpg

804004.jpg

804008.jpg

Hi Neil,
I was Sooooooooo close to buying the Jet 250s but after seeing Franks 805 and a trip to woodford i decieded that the 804 was more than adequate for my needs.
Although the Jet is a belting saw and you do get a lot of saw for your money the 804 is half the price.......which allowed me to get a few more toys........errr sorry tools :D

I know the saying...."you get what you pay for"....only time will tell i suppose :D

cheers

Nailer

Nice looking saw, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Welcome to the Xcalibar Club, I'm sure our president Philly will send you the club rules :D :D :D

The colour matches the Elu P/T.Whats that mobile base like with the 804 on top of it as I'll have to have one?
Wont be long before I shall be ordering the 804 and the shorter fence rails (30") will do me just fine. :p

Oh, and thanks for the close up pics could not ask for better

Cheers

Philly":26x5fmfe said:
When are you gonna fire it up??

Saturday afternoon's gonna be the first chance i get to give it a proper go.....looking after the little'un in the morning .......outfeed table is the first job methinks :D

Sawdust Producer":26x5fmfe said:
Whats that mobile base like with the 804 on top of it

Not to bad...it's still heavy but movable all the same.

I picked up a better quality(supposedly) drive belt from halfords today (HB1200c) and this seems to have sorted about 75% of the vibration out......it'll now pass the pound coin test on start up,running and shut down.
Hopefully the rest will settle down with use.....if not a link belt may be the order of the day :D

Cheers

Cheers

Hi Nailer,

I wouldn't worry too much about the bit of vibration left. Due to the motor and trunnion assembly being directly fixed to the main table, you will always have a small amount anyway, no link belt or better pulley's will get rid of it totally. Spend your time and money on good blades and using the saw! Enjoy!

cheers,
jon.

Hi Jon,

To be honest i always thought there would be a certain amount of vibration anyway due to as you say the set up.
I used the saw tonight to convert some 6" by 2" pitch pine into inch boards without any probs.......knife through butter springs to mind.
If the vibration thats left settles down a bit more then it's a bonus.......if it doesn't then it's not the end of the world.

Prolly me just being picky :D

Cheers

Nailer, congratulations on the TS. IMO a well set up Contractors Saw shouldn't really have any appreciable vibration. But, if it doesn't bother you, no worries. If it does, pull off the belt and run the motor, should be a nice quiet wurrrr and no vibration. This means it's the transmission components (belt and pulleys), the arbor or a dodgy blade. Best to upgrade the blade anyway, as Jonny mentioned. You will find that some degree of vibration will hinder things when a fine or critical cut is needed.
Once all is corrected a 5p coin should balance on the table during start-up, cutting and shut-down.

Noel

Hi Noel,
I took the belt of as you suggested and the motor was fine....and after giving it another few tweaks managed to get a penny to stand on end during start up and shut down.
I haven't tried it when cutting yet though.

I'll prolly get a couple of Freud or CMT blades as you both suggested......the vibration is probably me just being too fussy :D

Cheers

Hi there

How are you finding your TS a few months on Nailer?

I also bought one of these a few months back, very pleased with it in general.

Have you replaced the mitre gauge that came with the saw at all? I find it quite slack in the slot, causes inaccuracy.

Also, how did you get on with installing the guard etc. I notice it is installed on your saw. I actually couldnt get this to fit at all.

You dont have one of those close up digital photos of the connection of your guard to the machine knocking around do you? :)

biglouie":1ly7b47n said:
You dont have one of those close up digital photos of the connection of your guard to the machine knocking around do you? :)

Will these do ??

804OFDE021.jpg

804OFDE018.jpg

804OFDE015.jpg

804OFDE019.jpg

As for the saw it gets better every time i use it.......very pleased so far :D

I've not used a dado in it yet but i've picked up a Freud dado set from M/mart and i'm gonna give it a try at the weekend.

I've ordered an osborne mitre gauge from lee valley after seeing Franks in action....nice bit of kit i thought :D and quite reasonably priced atm with the exchange rate being so good.

The mitre gauge that came with the saw was a bit sloppy but was sorted with a few center punch marks down the side of the bar.

Hope this helps

Kev

Hi Nailer,

where did you get the reduction rings for your freud blade?

phil

thanks Dave,
just got to figure out what to spend the other 43 quid on to get free delivery

phil

phil phone frued up and ask them very nicely if they will send you some it worked for me .

frank

Nailer":1tahia46 said:
I Picked one of these up from woodford on saturday and with the help of a fellow forum member Frank got down to the business of putting it together,which took a couple of hours and then about another hour or so to fine tune the saw.
It's basically a copy of a murrican "Contractors Saw"...i'm assuming Delta as the 806 is a Unisaw clone (but don't quote me on it as i'm not sure).
It's well built and heavy so a mobile base is a must if you plan on moving it at all,also it comes with a bessimier alike fence but no micro adjustment i'm afraid.
The max cutting capacity to the right of the blade is 30" although it does say 50" on woodfords web site....this is a little misleading but it wasn't to much of a problem for me as i don't have the room for such long fence rails.
It's got a 1/12hp induction motor which in use is quiet but i will say does bounce about a bit but i think this is down to the drive belt being either new or cheap...if it doesn't settle down with use i'll see if i can get a better quality one or even try to sort a link belt for it.The actual fitting of the motor is a bit fiddly on your own so is ideally a two person job.
The height and tilt adjustment is very smooth with good size handles (which lock off) with very little if no backlash at all.
The main table is flat and the extension wings....after a few minor adjustments with a wooden block fitted flush.
They also fit NVR switches now as standard you'll be glad to know.

I haven't had chance to have a proper go using the saw so cannot comment on the acuracy just yet but there's no reason why it shouldn't be........but on the whole very pleased so far. :D

oh aye almost forgot it'll take a dado
Tin+hat+smiley.gif

Anyway here's some pics

*UPDATE*

I fitted a Power Twist Link Belt to the 804.....at £35 a bit pricey for a belt :shock: but i have to say worth every penny :D

I must admit i was a bit doubtful how much difference a belt would make.......but as they say seeing is believing :D

The vibration is virtually non existent now.....i can now balance a penny on the ends of the fence rails where there was no chance of that before.
The noise has also been reduced dramatically.....i'd say 50% atleast if not more :D

An even more happier woody than i was before 8)

Thanks to Noel & Jorden for the info regarding Link belts :D

804002.jpg

804005.jpg

804006.jpg

804004.jpg

804008.jpg

hi great pics, i am thinking about a 805 what are they like they look great are they? please tell me every thing you know about them. i have a work shop that is 4 x 3 will it fit in and will i have any room left after its in. is it work me going from gatwick to manchester. i dont trust delivery men after reading reviews on this site for 3 hours.

Latest posts

Back