Xcalibur 10" 806 sliding table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmoorphil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
After weeks of trawling the internet researching table saws I am now on the verge of purchasing my very first one.
My wife is so sick of me sitting on the computer looking at them and reading reviews she has told me to just buy the damn thing!
Although i intend to mainly use MDF at first and need to cut cabinet panels accurately and repeatably I really want something that will last so i can develop with it and not have to make another purchase in a few years.
The information I have gained from from this site has been invaluable so thanks to all and I have pretty much decided that I want to buy the Xcalibur 806 and the sliding table.
The sliding tables are apparently no longer stocked but Roy is going to contact the factory and ensure he can get one for me later on in the year before I make my purchase.
Despite all the trawling, I have yet to find an actual picture of the sliding table extension and was wondering if any of you guys have one and could let me know your thoughts and possible post a photo? I have a couple of large garages and I have cleared everything out of the one I use for my workshop so I have plenty of space and the size won't be an issue. I just need to know if it is worth the purchase or if people find it gets in the way and if I would be better off making a sled instead.
Many thanks,
Phil

If its such an issue finding one. I would just buy either the SIP 01332 with sliding table. I have this and its a great saw. I think in all its identical to the Xcalibur in terms of power, blade size and table size. But on price I would get the Axminster version which is identical but cheaper.

I'd have serious reservations about buying something new that wasn't easily available as you'll struggle to get parts in the future if you do ever need them.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod838695/

Ed got one last year and did a good review/first impression. A lot of forum members have it or the similar model by SIP and others. Not knocking the Xcalibur but I'd go with something in stock and with axminster theres no worries about getting parts replaced or returned quickly.

Thanks Chems,
To be honest my new Axminster catalogue arrived this morning and I also have a 10% off voucher which expires at midnight tomorrow so I have been carefully considering the axminster package deal today but I just don't want to make that final decision and then regret it later. My wife has been kind enough to give me a budget of £2k for what I need so the price of the xcalibur would be ok but I must admit I was worried about spares. I'm sure that whatever I get would be a massive improvement on my old circular saw so perhaps I should just bite the bullet and take a more practical approach. The only bad thing I have heard about the axminster is the adjustment wheels not locking into position well enough but this could be easily sorted with big washers. Just desperate now to get something into my workshop!
Agghh - decisions decisions!

Madness not to go with the AW10BSB2, with the 10% off you've still got £900 to spend, you could buy a top of the range P/T for that! There Excalibur isn't worth the extra hassle or money. I'm sure its a good machine but I have the SIP version of the AW10BSB2 and there is literally nothing I could improve on it. Its perfect and I'm sure the Axminster model is too.

Thanks for confusing me even more! it worked!
My finger has been hovering over the buy button on the AW10BSB2 but I just can't do it yet. The tsce 12r really looks the business and I am now VERY tempted.
I hadn't even considered looking at the lower end of industrial saws rather than the upper end of home saws.
I noticed that the induction motor is available in 1hp or 3hp but cant see the option to choose which one on the site. Am I right in assuming that 1hp is single phase and 3hp is 3 phase? If so, am I going to get enough power out of a 1hp induction motor (sorry but I have spent so much time looking at the saws I haven't researched motors). Thanks for your help so far guys, I appreciate your input.

redmoorphil":2pps3iac said:
I noticed that the induction motor is available in 1hp or 3hp but cant see the option to choose which one on the site. Am I right in assuming that 1hp is single phase and 3hp is 3 phase? If so, am I going to get enough power out of a 1hp induction motor (sorry but I have spent so much time looking at the saws I haven't researched motors).

That surly must be a typo. I don't think I've ever seen a 305mm table saw with a 1hp motor. I think even the 254mm contractor saws have a 1.5hp motor. Be ok for sheet goods, just a bit low power for hardwoods.

redmoorphil":18jo2ehz said:
I noticed that the induction motor is available in 1hp or 3hp but cant see the option to choose which one on the site. Am I right in assuming that 1hp is single phase and 3hp is 3 phase? If so, am I going to get enough power out of a 1hp induction motor (sorry but I have spent so much time looking at the saws I haven't researched motors). Thanks for your help so far guys, I appreciate your input.

Are you sure it's not 1ph and 3ph, as in 1 or 3 phase. The 230v version would be 1ph and the 415v 3ph.

I may be wrong though, I am certainly not an electrician.

By the way, make sure you have a 16A plus power supply.

Duh!! You're absolutely right 1ph or 3ph - wondered how 1hp would be enough power. Think I need some sleep but if I buy from Axminster I need to make a decision before end of play tomorrow so now panicking a little and losing the plot.
I think I might end up going for this one - with the 10% off it just comes in under my budget.
Power to workshop has a nice big separate consumer unit so shouldn't be too difficult to get a 16 amp circuit wired. My mates son is an electrical engineer so I'm sure I will be OK.
Think I will have a shower and a cuppa before coming back to it befiore my head explodes. :?

For twice the price, I can't see what advantages the large saw has. I liked the fold down table. But for double the price I'd want double the features, and the truth is the table saw is a simple machine, you want a bomb proof rise and fall/ blade tilt mechanism, you want a good fence and a easily adjustable sliding table. The smaller saw has all of these. For double the price I'd want things like a scoring blade and a sliding table able to take a full sheet like a real panel saw. You'd be bonkers not to save your money and get another machine with the change IMHO.

Hi guys,
Decided to walk away and sleep on it as i was getting too confused!
Woke up with a bit of a clearer head and have narrowed down my choices now. I reckon the Xcalibur has to be off the list - as chems said, may be a problem with spares etc and it also has no outfeed table so will still need something made for it. I also managed to find a picture on an autralian site of the sliding table on the 5hp version and if it is anything at all like that than it is absolutely huge and i would probably spend most of my day walking from one side to the other.
After reading Shanes review of his Axminster kit I am down to either the AW12BSB2 package (still needs a bit of tweaking but an awful lot of saw for the money) and this gives me a bit left over for a decent dust extractor or the TSCE-12R whic is clearly a clone of the Sedgewick but a heck of a lot cheaper.
Got some fence panels to sort out today so I am going to crack on with that and probably make a purchase later today after thinking about it.
Thanks for all your input.
Phil

Well I finally made a decision and went for the Axminster AW10BSB2. Put on my Vulcan head and couldn't justify the extra £350 for the 12 inch. Just didn't need it, especially as I will be cutting mainly mdf panels and not much thick timber so the 10" was fine. The Axminster tsc 12r was very nice but more than i realistically needed and with the 10% off it was just too good a deal. It allows me to get a good blade, some good dust extraction installed and the electrics sorted. Have also decided to get the Workshop Essentials DVD package by Steve Maskery which should keep me busy for a while. Thanks to all for you help and input and I will post an update when it is here and installed.
Phil

Excellent, I think you made a good choice, a lot of people very happy with that saw here on the forums. Regarding the outfeed table even though it comes with a sort of outfeed table, the best thing you can do is build a similar sized table behind the saw. It make working with larger goods so much easier and its an excellent working space. This is Ed's one:

4413812970_6af25abcdc.jpg

mine is similar and very useful.

Back