Xcaliber TS Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank

Established Member
Reaction score
XCALIBUR 805 8)

Well i went and picked up the saw at woodford (it took two of use to lift it in to the back of the car )when i got home i hade to take it in a piece at a time and assemble it ,this is an easy job so no probs.
i then started to fettle it, the blade was trueand in line so i adjusted the 90 degree and set it then set the 45 degree , the mitre gauge was next it was a little loose in the track so i got a centre punch and put two dimples on the side of it one at the front and one at the back ,fitted it back in it fits like a glove. no slop and so smooth .
i then fitted the motor on the back god its a big b****r it weighed more than my old saw .
i fitted the sliding table which comes with a sliding fence set it level to the table put some wax on the runners it slides smoothly (i havent used a sliding table so i will have to learn as i go along
:? i fitted the saw stand to a square of wood with wheels on so i can move it round the shop .now the part you have been waiting for started it up and i didn't have to jump back with fright like with the clarke saw ,it was so quiet and smooth i set the fence and cut some wood dead square and spot on .i stood a pound coin on the table and then tried it that coin never moved even when i cut a piece of wood.have you tried it with your saw .the saw is well made and i am glad i waited for it i have been ripping some lengths of mahogany and mdf on it and it a pleasure to use ,i dont need my ear defenders with this saw .the one down side and i hope woodford read this the switch is just an on and off ,when i first put the plug in the socket and switched it on the saw started up ,please mr woodford fit a nvr .thats the next job plus fitting one of them belts noely fitted to his .and can i thank philly for the tips on setting the saw up .

Frank,

Nice review and glad you're happy with it. It really is one of life's few pleasures when you get something you've been hankering after for a while and once you get it, it just puts a big cheesey grin on you face.
Go for the link belt but take your old belt along just to make sure you get the right width and lenght.
And maybe think about a nice rip and crosscut blade in the future, Freud for me. Although got a CMT as well, but yet to try it.

Noel

john the table slides on nylon /plastic runners and feels smooth ,i use a sliding jig for cutting panels ect ala norm ,but will have to learn how to use the sliding table in the future .as for the nvr i thought all table saws sold in the UK had to be fitted with one but it seems i was wrong (i think) its still a good saw .i sorted out the dust collection by fitting a square of mdf in the base of the saw and cutting a 4"hole for the dust pipe ,the back where the motor hangs i went hi tec , and gaffer taped some thick plastic bags to seal it same on the front it dont look pretty but it stops the dust .

Back