Writing Slope Locks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worsley947

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone hope you can suggest where I can buy writing slope locks from, as you know Im a student at newark college and this years exam is a writing slope so I need to buy some locks
Any suggestions would be greatful
Many thanks
Dave

Dave! Many suppliers supply them as Piano Locks, but they are pricey, E-Bay has them much cheaper under Writing Slope Locks.
Elsewhere I've had to pay over £20 for them.

Roy.

I've usually bought them as 'box-locks'. Maybe the name is a regional thing.
I just checked for one lying around the shop, but have only normal cabinet locks. Sorry I can't assist.

Best of Luck! :D

I don't think so John, I've bought them as Box Locks as well but Piano locks always have 'Hooks' and some Box Locks I've seen don't.
I ran into some problems some time ago with changes to names with 'Piano Hinges.'
The traditional hinge has long and short leaves whereas the modern versions are often two even leaves and I've seen them advertised as 'Continuous Hinges.'

Roy.

Possibly Roy. I always made sure the lock had the hooks of course.

It's always a fiddle to fit a lock to a 'slope', owing to the slope of the lid and box, the components not being square to each other. The way around it was to fit the lock at the side, but then a lock to each side always seemed better, at twice the cost!

I chickened out when I made our slope, I made it with the closure flat! As you say it's a problem otherwise.

Roy.

Digit":1b60v8yg said:
I chickened out when I made our slope, I made it with the closure flat! As you say it's a problem otherwise.

Roy.

So it's a writing-flat then? :lol: :mrgreen:

I'll get mine down from the loft and see if I can work out how I fiddled it.

I had cause to purchase a chest lock not so long ago, and tracked one down from www.nichelocks.com - I think they are the retail arm of A&E Squire of Willenhall. They seemed to have a fair range of cabinet locks. Might be worth a mooch.

Latest posts

Back