Quantcast

Writing Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Blackswanwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to make a writing box - the basic shape will be as per this picture ...

7653.jpg

The lock has got me a bit perplexed as all of the ones I have seen seem to be tailor made to take account of the slope.

Given there is a mix of ingenuity and knowledge on here :D I wondered if anyone has any thoughts? If I cut the mortice at a right angle to the sloping edge the key won't fit in properly ...

Any suggestions or advice will be most welcome.

Attachments

sunnybob

software developers nemesis
Reaction score
If its not going to be a faithful reproduction, why not just angle the front face backwards to make a 90 degree to the lid?

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Two thoughts.
The original locks do come up on eBay and sell for £20 -£40 with a key.

Or you could secure the two parts with a pair of brass hooks and loops, assuming that you don't mind the servants peeping inside and it doesn't need to be secure enough to bump around in a carriage, just not fall open when lifted.

LambCrafter

Reaction score
Tried to post a link to a post in this forum where locks were discussed. For some reason a ‘notify the moderator’ was added to it. So I deleted my attempt to help.

If you do a search for “uk workshop writing case lock” it may come up in google. :D

Blackswanwood

Established Member
Reaction score
AndyT":pnzz582e said:
Also, you might like to know that Mitch Peacock did a 12 part series on how to build a writing slope in December last year. The lock is in part 10.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... UFByr4EeRK
Thanks Andy. Interesting that he has used what looks to be a standard jewel case lock from Niche Locks/A & E Squire without a problem caused by the slope ... unless the mating pieces on the front of the box were squared which I couldn't see him doing on the other videos. I will watch them again more closely later.

Cheers