Writing Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
I am looking to make a writing box - the basic shape will be as per this picture ...

7653.jpg

The lock has got me a bit perplexed as all of the ones I have seen seem to be tailor made to take account of the slope.

Given there is a mix of ingenuity and knowledge on here :D I wondered if anyone has any thoughts? If I cut the mortice at a right angle to the sloping edge the key won't fit in properly ...

Any suggestions or advice will be most welcome.

Attachments

• 7653.jpg
    7653.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 158
If its not going to be a faithful reproduction, why not just angle the front face backwards to make a 90 degree to the lid?

Two thoughts.
The original locks do come up on eBay and sell for £20 -£40 with a key.

Or you could secure the two parts with a pair of brass hooks and loops, assuming that you don't mind the servants peeping inside and it doesn't need to be secure enough to bump around in a carriage, just not fall open when lifted.

Tried to post a link to a post in this forum where locks were discussed. For some reason a ‘notify the moderator’ was added to it. So I deleted my attempt to help.

If you do a search for “uk workshop writing case lock” it may come up in google. :D

Also, you might like to know that Mitch Peacock did a 12 part series on how to build a writing slope in December last year. The lock is in part 10.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... UFByr4EeRK

Thanks Andy. Interesting that he has used what looks to be a standard jewel case lock from Niche Locks/A & E Squire without a problem caused by the slope ... unless the mating pieces on the front of the box were squared which I couldn't see him doing on the other videos. I will watch them again more closely later.

Cheers

Back