Wrist watch recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first watch was a Seiko and ever since then i feel i'm almost 'wedded' to the brand. Don't know why, just love them. If money were no object i'd love a Credor. Plain. Basic. Does the job. But in ohhh so much style. I treated myself to an Apple iwatch last March. Splashed out and got the black stainless steel one. It is amazing... except i hate it. Wore it on and off for a few weeks, then put it back in its box. Its not a watch, its a mini computer (when i say 'mini' i'm joking, its awesome) just not for me. Now whats my login for Gumtree :unsure:

Rotary for me.
Two at present. Only time I have to adjust is for GMT purposes twice a year, and the 28/29/30/31 business.
Wife bought me an Omega gold-plated something-or-other many years ago, but I eventually managed to smash the glass. Couldn't afford to send/take to a proper Omega dealer, so instead dropped it off to a jeweller in Chesterfield, who managed somehow to fit a (presumably incorrect) glass - the hands kept catching.
I obviously complained, and they asked me to drop it off for them to inspect on the bench. X days later, they claimed it had kept perfect time. I collected it, and within a few hours it stopped.
Back and forth for months, same results. They eventually blamed me, and the way I was wearing it!
It eventually went in the bin....

No, I don't.
If you open the back Hamiltons often have the calibre number on the movement in addition to a serial number. If you get the serial number and google it yoiu will be able to find the year, calibre and so on. To be worth that I assume the case is solid rather than rolled gold, and must be a good calibre, probably a railroad grade. Good condition Hamiltons can be had from £150-200 for later simpler movements, up to the sourt of value you have been given for top calibre ones in solid gold cases. One of the great things about their watches is they were all made to the highest quality, regardles of the complexity of the movement etc, so even their cheaper watches were beautifully made, just not as lavishly decorated and heavily jewelled as the higher end ones. Go on give us a treat with a picture of the movement.

DSC02118.JPG
Yes, it's 14K
DSC02121.JPG

Very nice 969 calibre made in 1902, one of 930 total production. Not a railroad grade but a nice quality movement. Would be an idea to gently wipe it over with a cotton bud dampened with alcohol to remove what appear yo be some traces of dirt. If left they can create little black marks on the Nickel finish. Will also highlight the decoration.

Very nice 969 calibre made in 1902, one of 930 total production. Not a railroad grade but a nice quality movement. Would be an idea to gently wipe it over with a cotton bud dampened with alcohol to remove what appear yo be some traces of dirt. If left they can create little black marks on the Nickel finish. Will also highlight the decoration.
Strangely, I have a bottle of IPA on the table where I took the photos.

Never really owned a watch except for a brief period when I was young and their inconveniences quickly became apparent - a liability in the workshop and something of a hazard if you're heavily into sailing.
These days timepieces are everywhere, cars, wall clocks, phones, microwaves etc so having one on your wrist seems a bit superfluous. I understand it as a fashion statement but the functionality - don't need it.

I have always worn an a now vintage omega geneve sadly over the years sweat caused some corrosion.
Anyway long story short took it to be cleaned and when I got it back it still looked
dull felt wrong. The crystal face had been replaced with plastic one.
No way could I prove the watchmaker took it.

Back