Wrist watch recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want to try some of the old original military dive watches. Designed to be worn over a wetsuit. About 60mm across the case and weigh a ton.
I have, or as close I could get. it was a CWC SBS mk2.
I was joking with my dive instructor in offshore survival about not letting them on helicopters as if we ditched they'd pull the frame down. he had one on his wrist in class and I commented on it, he liked the flight master more but his was a retirement gift having been a dive instructor at her maj's pleasure for something like 30 odd years.
neither wore worn in the pool.

A the classic MOD G10 watch as issued to every nco and above if they didn't have their own. excellent watches, i wore one for around 15 years
I bought a G10 maybe 35 years ago as I wanted a tough watch that was easy to read and not too expensive, as I never take it off except for showering or swimming. Still going strong. The strap goes in the dishwasher when it gets in a state.

IMG_20210421_070609.jpg

Watches... Where do you start. I think you are a watch person or you are not. I got a Rolex sub for my 18th birthday in 1978. Stayed on my wrist 24/7 for 40 year until it stopped working due to lack of servicing I guess. My wife bought me a Rolex look alike by Steinhart automatic £300. Keeps better time that my Rolex ever did. Great value for the price.
I recent bought a smart watch an Amazfit T Rex £92. Great watch for the money. You have so much choice these days. But if you want a good watch that keeps perfect time Casio solar radio controlled, light, strong, water proof. Put it on your wrist and forget it.

I’m just curious about what you’ve done with the ‘78 Roliie Sub. Surely you haven’t just chucked in a drawer?

Ditto, except I have gone to the phone for photos - but only lately. I went back to using a watch because sometimes you want to just see what time it is and either not have the phone with you (gasp) or have no interest in seeing 14 notifications when you only wanted to know what time it is.
I agree a mobile can be a pain in the ar!! but I got in to the habit from the very early days of mobiles and always had one with me to run my business,
when they became pocket size it never left me now I'm retired I'm finding it a hard habit to break

I have 2 watches. A Lorus sports cheapie (£20 ish) wear it when working. Keeps great time but the night illumination system is rubbish (lumbrite) watever happened to radium painted hands (I know, got banned cos of cancer issues). My bestie is a British Nite MX10 with tritium tube illumination. Great watch. Keeps perfect time, see in the dark! Cost me about £300

Attachments

• IMG_20210422_060852663.jpg
    IMG_20210422_060852663.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 23
I’m just curious about what you’ve done with the ‘78 Roliie Sub. Surely you haven’t just chucked in a drawer?
I did just that. Chucked in in my man drawer with all the odd nuts bolts and foreign currency. I just couldn’t bring my self to spend the, just under £860 Rolex wanted to service it. Three time was it costs new. However, I did finally scrap the cash together and had a ride down to RSC Kent and explained that I only wanted it serviced and not polished. They said it needed new hands as part of the lime on the hands had broken away and possible fallen into the movement. They basically said “No new hands no service”. They did a good job and the watch now runs to COSC accuracy. It is within 2 sec a day. I don,t wear it much nowadays as I love the steinhart. It spends most of the time spinning on a watch winder. You could say that was a waste of money on the service, but just out of curiosity I put it up for sale and a guy in Germany offered me £13k. He said it is a maxi dial mk 1. But I won’t be selling it as it was my 18th birthday present and will pass it down the family.

I only wear a watch when I travel now, day to day I am almost always at home so no need for a watch. When I travel though I don't like to be taking out my phone all the time so I wear a watch. A simple Casio (model of your preference) is light, accurate and so cheap as to be almost disposable. I don't like their straps though so I use a NATO strap instead.

I did just that. Chucked in in my man drawer with all the odd nuts bolts and foreign currency. I just couldn’t bring my self to spend the, just under £860 Rolex wanted to service it. Three time was it costs new. However, I did finally scrap the cash together and had a ride down to RSC Kent and explained that I only wanted it serviced and not polished. They said it needed new hands as part of the lime on the hands had broken away and possible fallen into the movement. They basically said “No new hands no service”. They did a good job and the watch now runs to COSC accuracy. It is within 2 sec a day. I don,t wear it much nowadays as I love the steinhart. It spends most of the time spinning on a watch winder. You could say that was a waste of money on the service, but just out of curiosity I put it up for sale and a guy in Germany offered me £13k. He said it is a maxi dial mk 1. But I won’t be selling it as it was my 18th birthday present and will pass it down the family.

I’m glad that you at least know what it’s worth. Most collectors would probably have preferred it to have remained untouched by the RSC and had it serviced by an independent, like Simon Freese. Good for not allowing them to polish it or replace the dial.

This is unfortunately the problem with Rolex service, Very expensive and they do love to chuck parts of your watch away. I know many people like to get them serviced by Rolex as they feel it maintains the value, not sure how true that is. Certainly losing original parts can have a far greater negative effect on the value. They also will not service a watch over a certain age. Patek on the other hand will service any watch they have ever made, and will make parts from scratch if required, very different point in the market I know. Replacing the lume on the hands takes a few minutes, and any competent watch maker can service one of these, they are a tool watch movement and not especially complicated.

The Casio range offers something for everyone.
I agree about the straps. Choose based on the strap (most electronics are reliable).
Battery a nuisance? Look at the solar charge range.
Accuracy (if you're not retired ;-) )look at the radio range.

Not a wrist watch, but a pocket watch. I have no need to wear it very often. View attachment 130585t
View attachment 130583View attachment 130584
The ironic thing is that a watch like yours, which would have been the equivalent of Rolex money when new, is now worth less than the cheap Waterbury ones that cost less than $2 at the time. Pocket watches are great value, you can even buy a nice Patek pocket watch for maybe £1500, if you want one of their wrist watches more like £20-30k upwards. Bonkers really.

The ironic thing is that a watch like yours, which would have been the equivalent of Rolex money when new, is now worth less than the cheap Waterbury ones that cost less than $2 at the time. Pocket watches are great value, you can even buy a nice Patek pocket watch for maybe £1500, if you want one of their wrist watches more like £20-30k upwards. Bonkers really.
I've just been told not to sell it for less than £2000 and to insure it for £5000. The chap who valued it hadn't long sold one that was nowhere near as good that he paid £1500 for.

Back