Wrist watch recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Casio Waveceptor, always accurate as it sets itself to a time signal. I like mine anyway.
I have the same. It is stainless steel and plastic and the face is plastic - the more expensive ones have a better face and are all metal (SS or titanium). It's the same technology as the G shock but looks more like a real watch as it has hands and a metal strap. It costs less than a full service on a Rolex....Currently £115 on Mr Bezos's shop. Mine was $80 from Walmart.

I have a Casio prg-80t had it for years never came off, had batteries replaced once or twice but since I retired £70 for new batteries a bit over the top so don't wear a watch apart from dress one when going out ( when permitted ) most of us walk round with a phone with the time on

Last edited:
I'm one of the weirdos - I use a watch to tell the time, a phone to phone people, a camera to take photos.
Ditto, except I have gone to the phone for photos - but only lately. I went back to using a watch because sometimes you want to just see what time it is and either not have the phone with you (gasp) or have no interest in seeing 14 notifications when you only wanted to know what time it is.

I think Ive been very lucky with a Timex “expedition” its a plain stainless steel quartz watch in the military style, and if you press the winding button the face which is an ivory colour, is backlit and very bright, though thats not somthing I use often. It was a bootsale buy around 6 or perhaps more years ago in need of a battery, and I fitted one from a Poundland Multiselection pack,,a couple of more cheap batteries since and its my only watch and sadly gets a lot of hard wear but its running just fine and I would be sorry to see it go.

I have a number of wrist watches, my best I suppose being an omega seamster chronometer automatic but for everyday use I use a pocket watch, in my pocket. I found that a wrist watch either got in the way because a little loose ( metal strap) or rotted away (leather strap). I have a hunter style Bernex mechanical, the dial and numbers are easy to see, it keeps time enough to a minute or so a week and doesn't get in the way. I'm not retired, or a lifestyle Victorian. It doesn't have a timer, other than an additional small second dial, it doesn't tell me my heart rate and I can't read emails on it but neither does it need a battery.

It doesn't have a timer, other than an additional small second dial, it doesn't tell me my heart rate and I can't read emails on it but neither does it need a battery.

I look at the fact that my watches can't deliver texts as a feature, as you.

I do like a power meter on an automatic watch, but maybe that's just laziness.

A couple of years ago, I went on a watch binge. It culminated in a spring drive and three pocket watches. I quickly realized that I don't know enough about pocket watches and kept only one illinois, but they are perhaps (in the lower jewel count watches) the best bang for the buck for mechanical fascination when you take the cover off.

The spring drive will run fast if it's kept wound to full - not right away, but after a couple of days, it'll start gaining 10 seconds a day, which is more than it's supposed to change in a month. Gorgeous watch, but the option as I understand it is to have it fixed out of warranty now for about $400. I don't know that I have another watch that costs as much as its service, so I wear it a couple of days and let it run down.

The pocket watch is probably 100 years old, was cleaned and keeps great time (haven't experimented with positions - the wife absolutely hates it, though, as on certain objects that amplify its ticking, it's pretty loud).

What one person loves is hideous or incorrectly priced for somebody else.

I have an Omega Speedmaster chronometer which I purchased used about seven years ago. I'm not precious about where and when I wear it, generally with the exception of cycling in the summer.

For 45 years I earned my living selling wristwatches from Timex to Patek Philippe with lots of Rolex, Cartier and Omega in between, with prices starting from £4.85 in 1975 to me selling one for just over £2million when I retired 18 months ago, I've owned lots of watches but now my everyday watch is an Apple iWatch!
I’ve always liked watches and have had a few good ones over the years. I bought an Apple Watch when they first launched and have not worn any of my other watches since. They are not the most stylish but so incredibly practical.

Expensive watch? Servicing costs more than a new cheaper watch.
Battery? Wind up? Nuisance.
Casio, solar powered to charge a battery, time keeping via Rugby radio. Works for me. Only downside, long sleeves in winter!

Watches... Where do you start. I think you are a watch person or you are not. I got a Rolex sub for my 18th birthday in 1978. Stayed on my wrist 24/7 for 40 year until it stopped working due to lack of servicing I guess. My wife bought me a Rolex look alike by Steinhart automatic £300. Keeps better time that my Rolex ever did. Great value for the price.
I recent bought a smart watch an Amazfit T Rex £92. Great watch for the money. You have so much choice these days. But if you want a good watch that keeps perfect time Casio solar radio controlled, light, strong, water proof. Put it on your wrist and forget it.

Another Casio G-Shock wearer here, though a simple, retro variant, the DW-5600. It’s survived multiple house renovation projects, years of paragliding and mountaineering abuse and is still going strong.
I was also treated to a Bremont for a notable birthday - I love the watch and company backstory but it only tends to be worn for special occasions, and there haven’t been too many of those recently...

I have far too many watches, probably 40 or 50, including a dozen Omega, plus IWC, Panerai etc. The one that gets the most regular use is a G-Shock, AWG M100. Solar, 6 Band, so never needs a battery and gets the time signal correction every night.
For those who favour the Seiko SKX007 etc check out the Steeldive equivalent. Costs less but has a better Seiko movement, a sapphire Crystal, which the Seiko hasn’t, ceramic bezel and a better build quality. Definitely a better alternative.
Two Steeldives here, the Seiko diver and a Rolex sub inspired one. They are very good. Interesting to compare the sub lookalike with the real thing. The Rolex is certainly better finished, but enough to justify being twenty times the price, probably not. And the Seiko movement keeps better time. Only thing I would change is that I do love the slip bracelet on the Rolex, shame Steeldive couldn't come up with something similar. Do like the grit blasted Case back on the Steeldive, certainly helps to stop it sliding about.

my Seiko is a battery powered flightmaster chronograph. it has a slide rule on the bezel (which is internal to the glass). I assume it's called a flightmaster because you could easily bludgeon a pilot with it and it would be far more use as a weapon than a pair of tweezers*.

* seriously, it's a heavy thing.

I always wanted a Tag Heuer, overpriced and a vanity purchase I know. I bought mine in Barbados as it was half the price of the UK model (no it's not a fake). It's never off my wrist apart from when it needs servicing or a new strap. I've had it 20 years now and spent more on servicing and straps than it would cost to buy twice over grrrrr. The one area it excels in apart from telling the time is that it never seems to scratch no matter what I'm doing DIY wise. I presume it's the sapphire glass? It's rubbish trying to view it in darkness as the luminous dots last all of 2 minutes.
Our Household is very much Apple oriented with laptops, desktops, iPhones and iPads and my wife has an Apple Watch. I'd love one but I can't stand the idea of having to take it off each night to charge it. Perhaps when we get nuclear batteries I will.

I have been a victim of a lamentable lapse in Swiss quality standards. I bought a Mondaine "Swiss Railway Station Clock" watch some 36 years ago. As I recall, I paid about €92 for it. Since then, I have to replace the battery TWICE, and now it's gaining a full third of a second EVERY DAY. And the steel link strap needs cleaning.

Honestly: you can't trust anything nowadays . . . . .

my Seiko is a battery powered flightmaster chronograph. it has a slide rule on the bezel (which is internal to the glass). I assume it's called a flightmaster because you could easily bludgeon a pilot with it and it would be far more use as a weapon than a pair of tweezers*.

* seriously, it's a heavy thing.
You want to try some of the old original military dive watches. Designed to be worn over a wetsuit. About 60mm across the case and weigh a ton.

Back