WOW??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Whats happeneing on the WOW site,is it closing down or summat.?
When i go there now i am taken to a new family home page but when i did get onto the wow site it had all changed and i saw comments about it finishing but it wouldn't let me open any of the posts up??

I received an e-mail to the effect that the MyFamily.com server was closing down and guidance about retrieving any personal stuff off before it happens.

There is a discussion going on over on WWI.com about it and folks trying to come up with a salvage operation to preserve the archival content if nothing else of the WOW site if possible.
http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/for ... e=wow-gone

I have never been able to get on the site but have heard much about it. Shame if it all disappears.

Cheers Chas,lets hope they can save it.
I haven't had any mails for some time now from Myfamily i used to get em daily?

Graham- it was invititation only to WoW but anyone could have sent you an invite to see the site and take part.

Shame if it goes, getting a piece on the daily cover page was something to aspire to.

KimG":38y1qniz said:
Shame if it goes, getting a piece on the daily cover page was something to aspire to.
Yes it was a buzz when it happened, but I'm afraid that my attention span and limited dedication to finishing pieces rarely produce anything that I would offer up to such exalted circles.

CHJ":39a0vr4e said:
KimG":39a0vr4e said:
Yes it was a buzz when it happened, but I'm afraid that my attention span and limited dedication to finishing pieces rarely produce anything that I would offer up to such exalted circles.

And there is I getting a buzz every time any of my woodworking get into Woodworking magazine (total of 9 and 1 full article that is what I know of 7 of which are in the Woodturning mag) if I was ever so lucky to get one onto WOW then I probably be on a high for months

I was at least fortunate enough to have one item on the cover while it was going (you can't even read the threads now), the Green globe and stand made it, a definite highlight for me.

Nice your stuff has featured in magazines Dalboy, that's a real credit!

My first ever submission in 2010 made it, don't know if it was by merit or just a welcome gesture.
DSCN1670.jpg

Think I had one other but no way of currently checking, I know I had some that did not even get acknowledged or commented on.

Paul.J":voj7oc04 said:
Was that the piece you made for charity Chas?
Yes Paul, seem to remember you having some featured.

Grahamshed":voj7oc04 said:
Oh my Lord, gorgeous plate, what is that wood ?
Pau Rosa (325mm dia.) Graham.

This might be a better shot.
DSCN1660.JPG

Bit of a fraud really, it's the wood doing the work not the turner.

Attachments

• DSCN1660.JPG
    DSCN1660.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 886
it's the wood doing the work not the turner.

Erm, I think not, yes the wood is very pretty, but the turner did justice to the wood, not the other way round.

I've been a member of Wow for 4 years now & had 1 piece on the cover & it does make you feel great because you are judged by your peers, makes you feel humble too because of the comments you get..
I can still access the site via a bookmark & read the comments. Pappa Herm is trying a new site which may be suitable.Hope it can transfer all the data but they are not hopeful as they would need the co-operation of my family.com & they don't or won't answer the phone or emails.

Looks like a new WoW is been set up as i have just had a mail from Bill Blasic inviting me to the new site but the invite isn't accepting my name for some reason so can't join yet :(

Yes Chas i had few on the cover,which surprised me,think it was mainly down to Terry Scott though.

Back