Wow wasp attack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Got attacked yesterday in the garden by a very angry swarm of wasps,Iwas also in my shorts so I got stung many times on the legs arms and hands.I was digging out an old Christmas tree and they must have been underneath having their party,I don't think I've moved so fast since the early 50s.The little beggars are still buzzing around like mad this morning.So my question is when will it be safe to get my fork and spade back?Iwill spend the day in the workshop safe and sound fitting an oak worktop delivered this morning by worktop express and maybe see If they've calmed down tomorrow.

Also, pop yourself down to A&E / Walk in centre, even local chemist. If you have been stung multiple times, you need to get some antihistamines in you.

bourbon":3jpx69bi said:
Also, pop yourself down to A&E / Walk in centre, even local chemist. If you have been stung multiple times, you need to get some antihistamines in you.

Sounds better than the self immolation advise!

:shock:

Pete

bourbon":2ke9ae6j said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't antihistamines used to reduce the discomfort caused by the body's reaction to the sting. If it happened the day before Kevin posted, it is probably too late to be taking medication, unless, of course, he is still itching.

p.s I got 60+ honey bee stings (I counted them) in March but, fortunately, don't get much of a reaction, so have never used antihistamines.

kevinlightfoot":1pig1dge said:
Got attacked yesterday in the garden by a very angry swarm of wasps,Iwas also in my shorts so I got stung many times on the legs arms and hands.I was digging out an old Christmas tree and they must have been underneath having their party,I don't think I've moved so fast since the early 50s.The little beggars are still buzzing around like mad this morning.So my question is when will it be safe to get my fork and spade back?Iwill spend the day in the workshop safe and sound fitting an oak worktop delivered this morning by worktop express and maybe see If they've calmed down tomorrow.

Ouch. if you have been stung a lot of times then you might like to think about getting yourself tested for increased sensitivity to their stings...think anaphylactic shock. A mate of mine was fine and had no allergic reaction until he accidentally stumbled over a nest and got stung a lot. Because of the sheer number of stings, his body is now allergic to them.

The thing with bee stings is that you are fine one day then the next time you get stung you have a reaction. Obviously that does not apply to everyone, some people can be stung many time s and never get a reaction...…. Oh you know what I mean ….. (homer)

RogerS":1q4q4i31 said:
kevinlightfoot":1q4q4i31 said:

Ouch. if you have been stung a lot of times then you might like to think about getting yourself tested for increased sensitivity to their stings...think anaphylactic shock. A mate of mine was fine and had no allergic reaction until he accidentally stumbled over a nest and got stung a lot. Because of the sheer number of stings, his body is now allergic to them.

Sorry was writing mine the same time you wrote your post. Yours does come across a lot better than mine does

RogerS":vpivpx8n said:
kevinlightfoot":vpivpx8n said:

I have kept bees for around ten years and my reaction to the stings has gradually become less and less. I was stung around 50 times about 3 years ago when looking at a particularly nasty hive and expected things to change but so far it's been O.K. I might be one of the lucky ones and then again I might not.
Conversely, my wife's reactions became worse rather quickly and a single sting put her into hospital and on a drip for 4 hours around 5 years ago. She now carries an Epipen. I might have to borrow it.

Hi

Just for a single sting, I'm sure the rule (as stated by my mother, a nurse) is:-

Wasps - Wineger (Vinegar) as the sting is alkali

Bee - Bicarb as the sting is acid.

Unfortunately, Wasp - Wine is NOT a good mix I believe!!

Phil

Your nest is underground, I assume? Once you have taken all the recommended pills and potions, and feel up to the task, it will be time to sort out the nest. Petrol or diesel will work, and you don't need to light it, as it will melt their wings. Fly spray is another option. The tricky bit is to get the wasp killing substance underground, in the right place.

Another option is to cover up their entrance - a big sheet of plastic and some weights can do it.

All the above needs to be done as early in the morning as possible, so that all the wasps are indoors, snug and warm and ready for poisoning.

Finally, if they are not going to bother you (assuming you stop bothering them), leave well alone and the nest will die off on its own in the autumn.

A few years ago I was stripping old lagging from a pipe. Real old stuff with a thick rubber pond liner style covering. Put my stanley knife right through the middle of a wasp nest. You've never seen a fat lad move so fast. Tarzan swing off the scaffold and run!

Wilkinsons foam wasp nest killer. £2.50 a can
Bought one last week and a quick squirt did the job.
I would have preferred to leave them alone (wasps do a lot of good) but it was close to a path near the back door.
Was the size of my fist when I noticed it, four days later it was as big as a football.

Back