Would you use pocket screws or not.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes as long as you use a coarse threaded screw. I can't make up my mind about them. They don't look good but they sure are convenient. The plastic covers help make them acceptable.

As long as the6 are not going to be seen why not.
Made most of my workshop cabinets using pocket hole screws and glue.

Pocket hole screws have been around a long time and used in the right situation are fine. Don't think they are just DIY because the tools / jig is plastic, they are used commercially with more robust tooling like this. Kreg DK1100 FP Pocket Hole Drill so more than DIY.

I use them sometimes but also the Kreg HD version which are substantial and ideal for fitting noggins to take patresses, back boxes etc.

You can also purchase a plug cutter from axi b( ujk) or the plugs themselves if you want a neater finish. Coarse threads for softwood and fine threads for hardwood. practice on a off cut to confirm your set up is correct.

I should have mentioned that the best screws to use are the Kreg ones, only issue is that they use a square drive but it works so long as your driver bit is not worn.

“Furniture board” Im not to sure what this is, are we talking MDF or chipboard? Either way is you use the right screws you can screw straight into the “end grain” on both and if youre also using a bit of glue then its plenty strong enough. I had never had much luck with screwing like that into MDF untill my mate gave me some made by Wurth which are designed for this and give a very good fixing, I still have the box which I keep just for this application. But Im quite happy to use Pocket Holes but I dont think Ive ever tried it on MDF..should be okay though.
Steve.

Back