"Would you like any cashback?" SCAM WARNING

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris By The River

Established Member
Reaction score
Just received a scam warning which has been picked up at major supermarkets. With us all spending silly amounts of money at this time of year I thought it wise to share it just in case:

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT
I bought a bunch of stuff, over £150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of £40. I told her
I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £40 because she couldn't delete it. I told Her to call a supervisor.
Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it.. I said NO! Taking the £40 would be a cash advance against my Credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything!
The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the Electronic Pad must be defective.

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the £40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many
people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford , Sainsburys last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried
her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for £20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My co-worker called Sainsburys who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the
bank and her niece told her this:
This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!

This is NOT limited to Sainsburys; they are one of the largest retailers so they have the most incidents.

I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Sainsburys and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he
just happen to notice there was a £20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

To make matters worse ...THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT........CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!!!!!

THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE. CHECK YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START!

Apart from the fact that the Snopes article is American based, where the article would seem to suggest that the cashback instruction is initiated from the handheld terminal, whereas at all the places I have used for cashback, it's done by the cashier.

Si.

knappers":g3pckezh said:
Apart from the fact that the Snopes article is American based, where the article would seem to suggest that the cashback instruction is initiated from the handheld terminal, whereas at all the places I have used for cashback, it's done by the cashier.

Si.

Compare the quoted text from the report in this thread and the one on snopes.

It's spookily similar... :)

And it's not just me that thinks so:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/cash-back-scam-warning.shtml

BugBear (still relaxing)

The american person has a niece who works for a bank also. What a coincidence.

That being said, you should always check your reciept.

Pete

PeterBassett":1kyb29oh said:
That being said, you should always check your reciept.Pete

That is sound advice. Anyone who doesn't is asking for trouble. Scams (real or not) apart, till receipts often contain errors such as "two for one" offers not applied, charged prices not as indicated on shelves, charged for the wrong vegetables because the cashier has pressed the wrong button when weighing them etc.etc.

Regarding this particular "scam," the original post refers to it being on credit cards. I don't think that you can get cash back on credit cards can you? I believe that it is illegal because it would be money lending by an unauthorised business and without the statutory contract.

Richard

PeterBassett":1fap9nxr said:
That being said, you should always check your reciept.

Pete

Yes indeed. LOML is an inveterate checker, and often finds (minor) faults.

But these kind of hoax emails warnings are like a kind a human-spread computer virus. I hate them (and I especially hate the people who start them)

BugBear

Back