Would you go to all this bother to save twelve quid>

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt the project has anything to do with savings, or really anything at all other than generating youtube views. In the US, that video would be worth about $3-$5k of ad revenue. I understand in eastern europe and other lower per-capita spending places, the CPS is less and maybe it's only a third or a fifth or tenth of that, but still. It's not 12 pounds. It's ad revenue.

One of the dumbest things about youtube is that it creates a false reality for a lot of beginners that the videos with a high number of views are what most people do in woodworking.

The "something for nothing" gimmick is especially strong-performing on youtube, regardless of the size of the market.

It's a version of a Thien baffle. Much easier to make with some plywood & threaded rod.
It's not what it collects in the drum that matters but what, if anything, gets through to the vacuum cleaner bag.

D_W has made some valid points that were an eye opener.
Indeed. I realise that for some of the makers I follow on YouTube the item being made is purely a maguffin, a pointless object that just serves as a plot device for the actual product, the video. Whether that video is a vanity project, a patreon earner, an ad revenue generator or direct advertising for a company its still the same. The actual object is ultimately unimportant. Even Project Binky. And in the main I watch them as better quality entertainment as a television substitute.

agree with you D_W and Dee J except project Binky. that one started way before any videos were uploaded and it will go on way after too. the Videos were just an addition to that. the new videos are more for youtube but still enjoyable.

Maybe it is not about the costs involved. Perhaps they just enjoy making things. If they make a video and get ad revenue then good for them. Nobody is forced to watch anything and can easily switch off the video if not interested in the content. I went to quite a bit of effort to produce this.......a plastic one could have been bought for a fiver. I never did it because I couldn't get one or to save the fiver, I did it because I wanted too.

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_192301_5.jpg
    IMG_20201017_192301_5.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
Frame's a bit gappy, don't think any seals have been used either and I don't see a Eurocylinder on there. Might need one for insurance. But no a bad effort there wee man. :LOL:

Maybe it is not about the costs involved. Perhaps they just enjoy making things. If they make a video and get ad revenue then good for them. Nobody is forced to watch anything and can easily switch off the video if not interested in the content. I went to quite a bit of effort to produce this.......a plastic one could have been bought for a fiver. I never did it because I couldn't get one or to save the fiver, I did it because I wanted too.

I'm not sure why people take this personally. Your circumstances (I make all kinds of things that make no economic sense) are far away from someone making a well produced and edited youtube video with good sound and good light. It takes probably as much time to edit the video as it takes to make the item. It's not like you making something you enjoy, or me spending 85 hours to make an infill plane that costs about as much for materials as a used Spiers.

The reality is youtube is formulaic. It takes a lot of work to fit into the formula and when you see someone with several hundred thousand to millions of views on more than one video, it took them a lot of intentional work meeting the youtube formula to get there. I can tell you from experience that if you just turn on the camera and turn it off, and turn it on, and off, etc. without very intentional camera work and editing you'll get a couple of thousand views and there will be zero chance more than one of your videos will go viral (and if you get a viral video, it would probably be a 15 second clip of a pet doing something funny while all of your tool-related videos get almost nothing

What that means is that almost anything you see like this video has little to do with just making stuff for fun - the guys who rise to the top are the ones intentionally following the youtube model. Success is fleeting, too- eventually, youtube will take even the most popular content makers and start using their videos to introduce viewers to other newer youtubers.

..well, there is one other type. The rick beato or matthias wandel type - both of those guys do or did originally use youtube to link viewers to an external site where they sold something. Wandel sold plans and beato sells some kind of music software or instruction off of youtube.

The idea that a guy likes to make 12 pound dust collector parts and is willing to spend a full day editing, and then will do that more than a couple of times for the love of sharing things they make is unrealistic. They'd just make those things and not constantly stop and change lighting, etc.

There *are* some superb end to end video sets like Curtis Buchanan's video on how to make a chair, but he more or less condensed a lifetime of work into a series of videos - and even at that, his videos have far fewer views than the "golly-ghee i could get something for nothing" type rubbish that youtube promotes (like newspaper logs, etc).

DW, Who taking things personally? In the end does it really matter at all if someone makes a quick video just to put on youtube just to generate revenue and it works out for them. Pat on the back to them really. The OP question was would you go to effort to save a few quid, for me the answer is yes I probably would 😁 .
Edit, note my location 🙂

DW, Who taking things personally?

There seemed to be some agitation above "no, maybe some people are making videos and these things just because they like to".

I'm sure that's true. It usually happens with unedited videos (after the fact) or with none.

It's just the reality of youtube - everything is a "hack" (a "life hack" or "money hack" or whatever else). The point of the video is the video, the content is secondary, and I'd assume that the audience is much like the woodworking PBS shows here in the states (90% of the viewers to the woodworking shows in the states never worked wood, but it's more important to cater to them than it is the woodworkers because the advertisers find the cross section better).

I went back and looked at curtis buchanan's channel - it looks like he's been getting about 2500 views on videos where he shares techniques to actually make high quality work. But nothing is sold in them and the group watching them is narrow and hard to advertise to. Plus, the 90% of the audience who wants to imagine that they could make things will find conversation about design and aesthetics offputting.

(I've never heard of the guy referenced above, but I don't click on videos that are "make this out of salvage", etc. I was going to make a crack in this post about sawing lumber from firewood or using pallets.....

.......but when I went to confirm my suspicions that this was a "something for nothing" gimmick channel:

There seemed to be some agitation above "no, maybe some people are making videos and these things just because they like to".

Quite sure you misinterpreted and misquoted that, just saying.
The chair appears pretty good to me. I probably missed the point you are making.

I've always meant to do a clickbait style post with the pallets we get at work.
"Look what this guy did with these old pallets. You'll be amazed!"
Cut to a very large pile of firewood.

Back